[APP][4.0+] CellCB - Talk with people nearby just like a CB radio

• Replies:0
CellCB
  • Forum posts: 1

Dec 5, 2014, 4:24:02 AM via Website

I recently put up a new app on Google Play called CellCB and thought I would post here to try and get some feedback on it. CellCB is an app that is meant to behave just like a CB radio in that it will allow you to talk with people within range of your phone. Unlike a traditional CB radio it does not operate on the 27 MHz band, so sorry to the folks who were hoping to use it as an alternative to the bulky unit they may have installed in their car or truck. What it actually does is use the GPS system on your phone to figure out what other CellCB users are in range on your phone and list/broadcast to them over the Internet. Right now it is set to a range of 4 miles but I may make this more/less in the future depending on usage.

CellCB is meant to be simple to use and closely simulate the behavior of a CB radio as much as possible:

• Launch the app - Like turning a CB radio on it will immediately start listening for people broadcasting nearby
  • Hold the "Transmit" button - Like holding down the button on a handset it will broadcast your voice to people nearby

I hope to implement other features such as multiple channel selection, probably 40 like CB radios have, as well as some extras like making recordings and such. For the time being I just have the basic functionality with a single channel to see what people think and understand how well the core of it works. My goal is to keep things as simple as possible and therefore there is no type of registration needed before using it and no special configuration is needed like other apps that perform walkie talkie functionality over wifi or bluetooth.

It can be found by searching for "CellCB" or "com.binaryroad.cellcb" on Google Play.

Feel free to let me know if you have any questions/comments. Since this is a pretty new app you will probably need to find someone else to use it with, otherwise the chances of hearing someone broadcasting nearby your position at random are quite low.