Samsung Galaxy S5 — Galaxy s5 Duo (SM-G900FD) sim manager

• Replies:2
Jean-Paul Bergmans
  • Forum posts: 2

Mar 1, 2015, 9:52:03 PM via Website

I am confused about the functionality of the sim manager on my new Galaxy S5 duo.

The sim manager lets switch on/off both sims, that is easy enough to understand and works according to expectation.

The sim manager also lets define the "preferred sim card" for voice, video and data.

For voice this lets you choose between: "Current Network", "Ask always", "sim " or "sim2".

However, when the two sims are "on", regardless of what I set (Curent, Ask, sim1, sim2) when I want to place a call or send an sms I still have to choose between sim1 or sim2 to start the call or the sending.

Besides, on the notification panel there two buttons "sim1" and "sim2".

When touched the selected button turns green, a little square box appears around the signal bars of the selected sim, and the respective number appears on the sim pictogram next to the bars.

However I do not notice any change in behaviour, and I still need to pick a sim before calling or sending an sms.

I guess I misunderstand something and I cannot find an explanation on the user manual that I downloaded.

Is there anybody that can give me a hint.

Thanks in advance.

Jean-Paul Bergmans

Szőcs Péter
  • Forum posts: 1

May 21, 2015, 7:15:32 AM via Website

hi, have you come across any explanation ? i hve the same thing, with the box around the signal sign, and i don't know how to get rid of it.. you can email me if you want (szocspeti@gmail.com). Thanks in advance! Peter

Jean-Paul Bergmans
  • Forum posts: 2

May 26, 2015, 10:37:06 PM via Website

Hi Peter,

I never got a meaningful answer to my questions. I got one answer form Samsung support in Dubai, but obviously he did not understand what I was talking about, so I gave up on that one.

I learned to live with it but the selection of sims is indeed very "crude", which is a polite way to say that I am not impressed.

Whatever you choose in "Preferred sim card" the phone keeps asking what you want every time.

I have another complaint about the display on the top bar.

There are 3 icons about the sim card: a little sim card with a number written in, end two bar zones, one for each sim.

The square around one of the bars supposedly shows the preferred sim, but we know that means nothing because the phone asks every time anyway. But the number in the little sim icon gives you exactly the same information. What is the point ??

I would much rather prefer this little sim icon showing which sim card is selected for the data service.

Another comment if you have not noticed. When you use your phone with a car system, on my car (Audi A6) the car screen shows the network which is selected with the little square. And if you switch the square to the other sim, the display in the car follows that. So far so good. BUT, if you launch a call from the car system, the phone still wants you to select a sim .......on the phone screen......... very clumsy.

Let's hope they fix all of this at the next OS release, if that ever comes for the dual sim S5.

Meanwhile enjoy your phone anyway.

JP