Samsung Galaxy S5 — WiFi wont turn on after Lollipop Update

• Replies:46
  • OpenNot stickiedUnanswered
  • Forum posts: 3

Mar 6, 2015 3:18:31 AM via Website

Hi,

Recently, about 2 weeks ago, I updated my software to Lollipop and had no issues with my wifi connection. Due to battery drain I attempted a Settings Reset which did not fix the issue. I did not want to try a factory reset at the time.

Shortly after the Settings Reset, I ran into the current problem I am having. My WiFi wont turn on at all. It permanently remains off. In the WiFi screen itself the bar remains on off, though I can drag it to the on side, but it will not stay or turn green. It remains gray when I drag it.

There is the same problem with the quick access menu. I can highlight the button and it will look green, but as soon as I move my finger it changes to gray. It will not connect at all. I had read about possible solutions for the same issue on older operating systems and thus far have attempted the same setting reset, pulling the battery, booting in safe mode, and also using the cache wipe. Nothing seems to have fixed the issue.

I also read that a factory reset "may" fix it, however there was no guarantee. As I don't want to lose any settings or information, including call logs, text messages etc, I don't want to do a factory reset if it wont fix the problem for sure, or if the problem will come back. Is it possible an update is coming to fix this? Has anyone else encountered the same problem?

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

* I accidentally posted this on the Active forum when I meant to post it here. I am using a Verizon Phone.

• Forum posts: 1

Mar 12, 2015 8:47:45 PM via Website

I am having the same exact problem and cannot find a solution. I have already wiped cache partition and this did nothing. I've done two factory data resets to maximize my battery usage after the lollipop update and really don't want to go through that again if it can be avoided. I too am a verizon customer.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

• Forum posts: 2

Mar 16, 2015 12:46:50 PM via Website

Since Lollipop 5.0. update only troubles and problems. had no WiFi issues until that damn update to Lollicrap 5.0. Still no solution to problems from Google. TouchWiz gone completly mad and google apps can't be disabled and only make problems. I would like to get a refund for my phone since Samsung and Google do not have solutions to problems but I live in croatia where getting a service or a refund is a dream.

Mar 19, 2015 10:08:12 PM via Website

We are experiencing the same problem. Did you fix it yet? We tried everything, but nothing seems to work,

Could you help us out?

Thanks!

Mar 25, 2015 9:27:52 PM via Website

I am having the same issue. I also did a settings reset and could not turn WIFI on afterwards. I have yet to find a solution to the problem.

• Forum posts: 6

Mar 26, 2015 1:31:39 AM via Website

ive had 5.0 and 5.01 on my nexus 4 since Nov and had the same problem connecting to home wifi, and the only thing thats ive been able to do is repeatedly put my password into the phone.It pretty annoying awaiting 5.1

• Forum posts: 5

Mar 26, 2015 9:50:08 AM via Website

Having Same problem, first time it automatically resolve after connecting the PC. But some time shows same problem in S5 device....I m trying i ll post if i find and you guys post if u find

Mar 26, 2015 3:50:39 PM via Website

Hey All,
Today I tried a second SETTINGS RESET, and I resolved the WIFI not turning on issue. It worked for me, hopefully it will work for you as well. Good Luck!!

Mar 26, 2015 4:02:13 PM via Website

By settings reset do you mean a full factory reset to defaults? Did you lose all your texts and other settings?

I had contacted Samsung, they don't know how to fix the problem and only suggestion is to send the phone to a technician to fix it...

Mar 26, 2015 4:02:46 PM via App

Fred Spitzer

Hey All,
Today I tried a second SETTINGS RESET, and I resolved the WIFI not turning on issue. It worked for me, hopefully it will work for you as well. Good Luck!!

Mar 26, 2015 4:12:52 PM via Website

Matthew Palazzola

By settings reset do you mean a full factory reset to defaults? Did you lose all your texts and other settings?

I had contacted Samsung, they don't know how to fix the problem and only suggestion is to send the phone to a technician to fix it...

No, I did not want to do a Factory reset. This issue started for me after I did a SETTINGS RESET, so I tried another SETTINGS RESET and it fixed the issue.

Mar 30, 2015 11:02:05 AM via Website

Guys setting Resent means setting>back up and reset>factory data resent correct? i did but still not working any idea really appreciated..Please tell me.

Apr 1, 2015 8:04:00 AM via Website

Even downgrade kitkat 4.4.2 don't solve the problem.....Shit lollipop and Samsung still don't have solution..........Please any one tell me solution really much appreciated..

Apr 1, 2015 9:40:17 AM via Website

Finally, Kitkat 4.4.2 solve problem.........try it.

Apr 15, 2015 10:56:34 PM via Website

how do you flashback to KitKat. I am having the same exact problem and cannot find any fix I can't even toggle on my wifi

Apr 17, 2015 11:15:05 PM via Website

I had the same problem when I upgraded my phone over Samsung kies. I tried everything and then I came to an conclusion to go back to my old firmware. But for some reason I tried one last time and this time I used odin v3.09 with a wifi fix file which you can find online (type into YouTube: wifi fix file for android) and then you should flash this file into your phone over downloading mode (hold down power+volume down+home button until and screen with a caution sign come's up) connect your phone to the computer with a USB cable. Open odin and it should be connected if there is a blue box in the top left corner, click on AP and load the file. All the steps are done and now you just have to press start and wait for it to finish it usually only takes 2 minutes.

*All this includes developing skills if your phone is harmed in any way I do not hold responsibility for it.

Apr 19, 2015 12:40:34 PM via Website

Friend I have same problem. I pulled battery when my phone is on..this worked for me when i was using lollipop but the wifi connected and not stay for long time. It was connected and disconnect. I don't know how it works but it did for me..(but try it in your own risk). Finally, i decided download kitkat 4.4.2 from sammobile.com and installed by using Odin3 v3.09. this also is a professional work if you think you can you can do it in own risk. Be sure that cable must be original and prper driver has installed in your PC. (you can do it in your own risk, i write it to help you if any thing goes wrong the responsibility is not mine.)

May 3, 2015 11:58:19 PM via Website

Ivo Mileusnić

Since Lollipop 5.0. update only troubles and problems. had no WiFi issues until that damn update to Lollicrap 5.0. Still no solution to problems from Google. TouchWiz gone completly mad and google apps can't be disabled and only make problems. I would like to get a refund for my phone since Samsung and Google do not have solutions to problems but I live in croatia where getting a service or a refund is a dream.

I think the best solution for this product is come back at the previous firmware update kit kat finger cross it may be work perfectly like before of lollycrappy...

May 12, 2015 7:17:48 PM via Website

I reset to factory and my wifi is working. So far all information has saved and current.

May 18, 2015 12:06:32 AM via Website

I had the same problem and the "settings reset" did the trick.