"Move to SD card" button is grayed out. Why?

• Replies:5
  • OpenNot stickiedUnanswered
  • Forum posts: 341

Mar 24, 2015 3:04:43 AM via Website

On my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 mobile phone, Settings - Application manager.

In "App info" window of some apps, the "Move to SD card" button is grayed out. But for another apps, the button is enabled.

So then, what does this difference result from?

And I found the app "Move to SD card" button of which is grayed out is not always a system app. For example, Amazon Appstore and some apps I got from the appstore. So, I am confused.

• Forum posts: 2,873

Mar 24, 2015 8:20:55 AM via Website

I don't know details of manifest. So only practical:

1. The author of an app decides, whether it may be moved (means: splitted) or not. Useless to manipulate by user.
  2. Think, whether it's necessary. Moving makes your system more slow and fragile. Your data-partition should be big enough.

N5X + sAOSP 7.1.2 🔸 LG G3 + Pixel AOSP 7.1.2

• Forum posts: 341

Mar 25, 2015 6:40:56 AM via Website

reinold p

I don't know details of manifest. So only practical:

1. The author of an app decides, whether it may be moved (means: splitted) or not. Useless to manipulate by user.
  2. Think, whether it's necessary. Moving makes your system more slow and fragile. Your data-partition should be big enough.

Thanks for your reply.
1. How to implement enabling Moving button for an app? Is it easy?
2. For some apps, it is maybe better to enable the "Move to SD card" button because it will save more storage room.

• Forum posts: 2,873

Mar 25, 2015 8:02:32 AM via Website

I wanted to say above: if the button is gray, the feature - to split - isn't built in. Afaik there's nothing to change by user.

Before you move apps to sd, control free space in /data in TerminalEmulator with 'df'. Better than believing or the misty graphics in settings or file managers.

— modified on Mar 25, 2015 11:08:37 AM

N5X + sAOSP 7.1.2 🔸 LG G3 + Pixel AOSP 7.1.2