Solar Panel/calculator type charging

• Replies:1
jing wei
  • Forum posts: 1

Jul 23, 2015, 8:28:14 AM via Website

It's far out there but I've always wondered why cell phones do not have a solar panel or other form of charging from a light source.
I've heard of displays being able to act as a solar panel at the same time. Complicated yes but the concept and idea is there. Calculators use light, yea a cell phone uses more power but with the size of screens now. Why not incorporate solar charging in the phone. Even if it only helps sustain a charge over time it's a major benefit.

Olivia R.
  • Forum posts: 1

Jul 23, 2015, 4:58:38 PM via Website

It doesn't seem too far out there! I always ponder similar ideas and questions.
Solar technology has made great progress and very quickly. I'm thinking- bare with me here, ha. The phone screen would be pressure sensitive rather than our standard heat. Due to heat from sunlight. The phone would need to be light weight. Think of how hot your phone would get and how the performance would be effected. The battery would need to be large and efficient enough to store large quantities of solar energy. You wouldn't want your phone dying every hour.
I like the way you think!! By the way, I'm going to school for Renewable & Sustainable Energy technologies. I could go on forever.