Samsung Galaxy S4 — Power button not turning off screen?

• Replies:1
Kimberly Mullen
  • Forum posts: 1

Sep 18, 2015, 4:58:46 AM via Website

I have a Samsung S4, and currently the power button will not turn the screen on or off, but if I hold it in for a few seconds it will bring up the power menu.

This would mean the phone can tell the button is being pressed, so why won't it turn off the screen? Someone suggested it could be acting up to overuse, but it isn't acting up so much as it will do one thing but not the other (will bring up menu, won't turn off screen)

It has the latest updates, etc. Could it be related to having system files messed with? That was all I could find when researching the issue. The only files I ever mess with/delete are the phones cache and deleting some miscellaneous file

UPDATE: The button will occasionally turn the screen off now, but it is very finicky. I took out the battery to see it rebooting it that way would help, and it almost didn't turn back on, but holding the button down got it to boot up.

James Watson
  • Forum posts: 1,584

Sep 18, 2015, 11:04:42 AM via Website

Kimberly Mullen

I have a Samsung S4, and currently the power button will not turn the screen on or off, but if I hold it in for a few seconds it will bring up the power menu.

This would mean the phone can tell the button is being pressed, so why won't it turn off the screen? Someone suggested it could be acting up to overuse, but it isn't acting up so much as it will do one thing but not the other (will bring up menu, won't turn off screen)

It has the latest updates, etc. Could it be related to having system files messed with? That was all I could find when researching the issue. The only files I ever mess with/delete are the phones cache and deleting some miscellaneous file

UPDATE: The button will occasionally turn the screen off now, but it is very finicky. I took out the battery to see it rebooting it that way would help, and it almost didn't turn back on, but holding the button down got it to boot up.

I don't think the problem has something to do with having system files messed with. It perhaps results from some power button's hardware failure.

Download size < 0.15 MB. But also accurate enough, ad-free & free.
The minimalist app available on Play Store: https://goo.gl/ws42fN
Blog: https://okblackcafe.blogspot.com Your 5-star is appreciated.