Compare Android Marshmallow and Lollipop

• Replies:5
James William
  • Forum posts: 11

Nov 13, 2015, 10:40:04 AM via Website

Hi Android experts here.

I need to know some of the things which are new additions in Marshmallow and which are flaws that founded on Lollipop.
Need answers from your personal experiences. How they differs. Please help me.

Thanks in advance.

Orville Wilson
  • Forum posts: 5

Dec 7, 2015, 10:53:49 AM via Website

Hello James,

Major Differences between Android Lollipop and Marshmallow.

With Android Marshmallow, there is finally an integrated way to manage app permissions. In Lollipop you had to allow all app permissions before you downloaded the app from the Play Store.

With Lollipop's Project Volta, Google laid the foundations for longer battery life. Android Marshmallow goes one step further, with a battery saving function known as Doze. With Android Marshmallow, Google has finally created a uniform standard for fingerprint sensors while in Lollipop there is no any kind of such facility.

Android Lollipop gives detailed information about the amount of RAM each app uses. Android Marshmallow now provides two new fields that inform you on the average and maximum RAM usage of an app.

In Marshmallow With USB Type-C, you can use the USB connector in either direction inside the unit (it flips both ways), and use your smartphone to charge other, compatible devices.

I hope you will get your right answer for your question.

Thanks.

James William
  • Forum posts: 11

Dec 10, 2015, 2:03:02 PM via Website

Thanks Wilson for your time. I am glad to have good answer like this.

Orville Wilson

Caryn L.

Jan 31, 2016, 4:23:23 AM via Website

When I got my new phone (Motorola Nexus 6) it has Marshmallow in it which I took out because it had some glitchy malfunctions. It magically loaded back in last night and I found the original Marshmallow MUST have been corrupt as they function VERY differently. I really like Marshmallow a LOT! Gone are the bizarre permissions for apps that have been mysteriously omnipresent in the past for entirely irrelevant things (like why my bank needs access to my photos and contacts). Some, like keyboards are downright ridiculous! Those things are GONE with Marshmallow.

SO... two questions on Marshmallow:

1) I change phones about every 10 years so was stunned to see that new phones have 2.0 USB ports from which to charge. I can see 3.0 but even THEY are problematic. The 2.0 is just ridiculous and now that I'm on my FOURTH phone since April, 2015 (two died from 2.0 USB port death) I hope I've not purchased a phone that I can't have the NEW port put into. Can this be done on a Nexus 6?

2) On the permissions, should I uninstall all of the apps that used to required permissions and reload it all again so that permissions aren't automatically there? Some want access to mic, camera, etc., that aren't even relevant to the app in any way.

Thank you!

David Smith
  • Forum posts: 32

Feb 16, 2016, 8:26:04 AM via Website

Hi James,

Android Marshmallow vs Android Lollipop comparison:

1. App Permissions

With Android Marshmallow, there is finally an integrated way to manage app permissions. In Lollipop you had to allow all app permissions before downloading them from the Play Store. Our comparison with Android Marshmallow shows that this is now no longer the case. Instead, you can confirm app permissions individually, as soon as you want a specific function to work (e.g. access to the microphone). In addition, in the Android settings you've got the option to revoke individual app permissions again.

1. Battery Life

With Lollipop's Project Volta, Google laid the foundations for longer battery life. Android Marshmallow goes one step further, as our comparison between Android Lollipop and Android Marshmallow shows. Although we do not have any long-term data just yet, Android Marshmallow does house a new battery saving function known as 'Doze', which uses the device's motion sensors to detect if a smartphone is being used or not.

1. Android Pay

Here is Google's solution for secure mobile payment. With Android Pay, Android does not store your real payment data, such as credit card numbers, but creates a virtual number for each payment method, meaning your data is always protected. Android Pay functions even with Android 4.4 KitKat, and when you combine it with Android Marshmallow's fingerprint scanning features, it looks like this new mobile payment process is going to be more than capable of taking on Apple Pay.

1. Fingerprint Sensors

With Android Marshmallow, Google has finally created a uniform standard for fingerprint sensors. That's good, because before Android M each manufacturer has its own software solution implemented into the system: uniform access to fingerprint sensors was therefore not possible. This is a big step forward.

Thank you.

Caryn L.

May 1, 2016, 5:58:45 AM via Website

I've had my Nexus 6 with Marshmallow for several months now and it's NOT quite what it's supposed to be. It DID start life doing what Google promised but as Marshmallow updated several times, that changed.

I WISH I could get Marshmallow OFF of my device (it CAME with Lollipop but updated about 3 days later). It ran FLAWLESSLY on Lollipop. Marshmallow is, IMO, one big giant P.I.T.A. and again, IMO, was released too soon. There are a LOT of bugs in it. Closing background apps is almost impossible without going through many gyrations. The memory that this release eats is ENORMOUS.

Most apps don't work with Marshmallow or if they do, very well.

I wish I could get Marshmallow OFF of my device and put Lollipop back onto it.

Again, it DID work as Google said it would when Marshmallow was FIRST updated over Lollipop but thereafter, no. Battery life DRASTICALLY shortened, permissions NOT disallowed until activated (it worked as they promised at FIRST, with updates, not anymore). My list goes on but won't bore you with it.

I guess my advice would be to hang on to Lollipop long as you can. There is ONE great thing that works with 6.0 and later and that is the NEW Google camera app. (which you must upgrade via Play Store). Other than that... I'm actually in here to seek advice on where to go for optimizer apps and security apps because I can't find any that work with Marshmallow (not fully, anyway... no browser protection on ANY I could find).

Saw this post and thought I'd just add my findings about Marshmallow but now must seek what I've come to find! How to make Marshmallow work properly (with security and optimizing apps of which I cannot find for 6.0).

Thanks!

Karen