Need help connect RCA 10 viking pro to windows 7 via USB

• Replies:25
Hung Le
  • Forum posts: 3

Dec 16, 2015, 12:12:54 AM via Website

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and I need help with the problem below:
I just got the RCA 10 viking pro tablet from Walmart . I try to connect the tablet to my windows 7 laptop via USB, but the laptop won't detect it won't even make any sound. It used to make a sound when you plug in any device to USB port.
Nothing show up in device manager neither. Please help I try to get this problem solved before I can root it.

Thanks,

Hung

Dennis Shumate
  • Forum posts: 2

Dec 28, 2015, 8:19:28 PM via Website

Having the same exact issue. Need the windows 7 driver. The model is: rct6303w87dk. Under storage, in the upper right hand corner, the USB COMPUTER CONNECTION option is shaded out (even when USB DEBUGGING is chosen under DEVELOPER OPTIONS). Any help is appreciated.

Thank you-

Dennis

Dude

Dec 31, 2015, 5:37:39 AM via Website

Having the same issue - RCA tech support has told me that the Micro USB on the RCT6303W87DK (10", 32G, w/ detatchable keyboard, Walmart) can only be used for charging. I have been debugging the port at a low level and it is not registering properly. Not accepting an address from the host.

I even made a USB A to USB A cable hoping that the full USB port on the device was just a built in OTG adaptor, and that I could debug through that. No luck. Not even any low level communications, so it is not just a OTG style hookup behind the scenes.

I want to be able to use ADB for development, and to root the device.

Since it 'sort' of works (low level) it makes me think that they have disabled the normal functionality of the MicroUSB on purpose, or during manufacture there was a design flaw that is causing communications on the port to fail. Kind of handy if you want to prevent being able to root the device, but again, I am amazed at why they even care? I am just going to take this back to Walmart - if I was able to root it, I would be keeping it and they would have a sale. That MicroUSB port is broken

In fact I already took one back because I figured the port was just broken on the first unit I had. Net result, there will now be 2 units that will not be for resale, and lost sales. Boggles my mind. This is a pretty awesome nice tablet otherwise. Idiots..

Shawn Guffey

Hung Le

Dec 31, 2015, 6:03:59 AM via Website

Hello Dude,

Have you been try the regular USB port on this tablet ? Not the micro one, also I have been root mine with the KingRoot app does not need connect the tablet to PC via USB.

Dude

Dec 31, 2015, 7:01:03 AM via Website

Actually, just came to back to post that the trick was that I also needed to hook up power to the MicroUSB as well as using my homemade USB A to USB A male/male cable (straight through, match colors). As soon as I did that, the device registered on the computer. Now on to install Google USB drivers and KingoRoot.. XDA forum post for more info , google "root rct6303w87dk-5-0-lollipop xda"

Randall BurnsE- FreshDennis Shumate

Dennis Shumate

Jan 1, 2016, 5:27:34 PM via Website

Great info, Dude. So, just so I am understanding what you did-you connected the microUSB cable into a USB powered hub, then the USB A to USB A cable form Tablet to hub?

Thank you!

— modified on Jan 1, 2016, 8:12:20 PM

Irving
  • Forum posts: 1

Jan 5, 2016, 12:13:52 AM via Website

Hi Dude

Could you add a tutorial to how you get your computer to connect to your tablet - I am new to this
thanks Dude

Brian VT

Jan 29, 2016, 8:50:36 PM via Website

[[cite Hung Le]]
I just got the RCA 10 viking pro tablet from Walmart . I try to connect the tablet to my windows 7 laptop via USB, but the laptop won't detect it won't even make any sound. It used to make a sound when you plug in any device to USB port.
Nothing show up in device manager neither.

I asked RCA about this. They responded the the USB port only works with non-powered storage devices (memory sticks, SD cards, etc.). Your computer, or phone, will not connect.
Bummer.
I wonder if having a powered USB hub between the Viking and the computer might work? (like Dude did with the micro USB port).
I can't try. I ended up here while researching the Viking before buying so I'm holding out.

— modified on Jan 29, 2016, 8:55:55 PM

Hung Le

Jan 30, 2016, 12:15:08 AM via Website

Hi Brian VT,

The USB stick works but the external 2.5" drive non-powered got error device blank or unsupported.

Rog Mat

R. Weeks

Jan 30, 2016, 6:28:21 PM via Website

Hey, thanks a lot!! I just put the files I wanted to transfer on a thumb drive, stuck it in the side and wha la!. I use Astro File manager and it recognized the USB drive and I transfered the files! Beats the heck out of transfering via bluetooth.

Rog Mat

Brian VT

Feb 1, 2016, 1:38:56 PM via Website

I got one this weekend. I went to WM and they were priced at $138. I showed them $79 one on their website and they were confused (so am I) but they grudgingly gave it to me for $79. I don't know if there's a difference between the $79 one and the $138 one (both listed on their website). Great "beater" or trial tablet for the money.
A smartphone won't be recognized by USB cable connection (it's a powered drive). It will still charge a phone's battery though.
The weird thing is the 1st time I connected my iPhone 5 it recognized it and my photos came up on the Viking.
Then it switched the screen and said some thing like "device not recognized". I disconnected and reconnected and now it goes straight to "...not recognized".
There are thumb drives that plug into your smartphone (a bit spendy, imo). Another option is a wireless thumb drive. That's the route I took. ($20/16gb). Your phone sees the thumb drive as a wifi router. Connect and move files onto thumb drive. Then plug thumb drive into the Viking's USB, or connect wireless as with the phone.
Many ways to skin cats. :-)

— modified on Feb 1, 2016, 4:18:47 PM

Brian VT

Feb 2, 2016, 2:41:14 PM via Website

Bluetooth to iPhone "not compatible". :-(
Some apps (WhatsApp, for instance) "not compatible". :-(
I don't know if it's the Viking or Lollipop.

— modified on Feb 2, 2016, 3:56:51 PM

bobo

Mar 18, 2016, 6:21:05 PM via Website

I'm new to the forum and I need help with the problem below: I just got the RCA 10 viking pro tablet from Amazon . I try to connect the tablet to my windows 7 laptop via USB, but the laptop won't detect. Would you please tell me what do I need to do?

bunghole

Mar 22, 2016, 6:22:50 AM via Website

I have this tablet as well and it seems we are unable to root or connect micro-usb or standard usb to a pc . As dude said before the usb ports are not configured to connect to other powered devices via any form of usb unless you splice a standard usb to standard ubs to get low level access.

Semyon Goloborodko

Mar 25, 2016, 8:45:49 PM via Website

Hello! The best way to connect RCA tablet to PC .
Just download app. named "wifi file transfer PRO" from PLAY STORE. Price is only $1.40.
And you will see how easy you can transfer files between tablet and PC.

Michael Burkley

May 14, 2016, 6:44:29 PM via Website

I've called RCA tech support several times. The last time I spoke with someone who seems to know what they are talking about. The person said that the only way to connect the RCA Viking Pro (10.1 inch) tablet to a computer is using their proprietary USB cable, available straight from them for only $20. Hmmm...that adds $20 to the price of the tablet. You would think that they would include that bit of information in the directions, too! Oh well, I still like the tablet very much. I might try the WiFi file transfer Pro on the Play store mentioned below though before passing on the $20.

--Michael

Indiana Stone

May 20, 2016, 3:38:48 PM via Website

You can root your rca Viking Pro without a pc, i didn't think it work. But it did lol you can get it from kingroot.net

Lamont Best

Sep 14, 2016, 9:06:32 PM via Website

I am having the same problem with my viking pro 10 tablet. I called rca's tech assistance3 at 800-252-6123 and asked about a special cable to link my viking pro tablet to my pc with windows seven. The lady told me that rca proposed a cable a couple months ago and went ahead and checked and they have come out with such a cable. No part number avaliable. The cable is 20.00. Call the tech line and order. I just ordered my cable today and can not wait to get it. I will let you know how it goes.

Cole Healy

Oct 21, 2016, 1:06:12 PM via Website

My Question is to Dude. So, I also have purchased a RCA Viking Pro. I know next to nothing about computers. So, When you say that you had to connect "power" to the microUSB port on the tablet. Exactly what is it that you mean? Also what is a USB A to USB A cable? to they make them? and if so where can I buy one?

Rog Mat

Oct 31, 2016, 3:03:11 PM via Website

Hi,
Forget Dude. That "power cable / usb cable" fix does not work.
Use a USB memory stick to transfer files from your computer to RCA tablet.
My RCA tablet read my no name 16gb stick with no problems.
Just remember to "un-mount" the usb memory stick before unplugging from the RCA tablet.
To do that, tap SETTINGS, then tap STORAGE, then scroll down page to USB storage device, then tap on Unmount USB device, wait a few seconds, then you can pull out the USB drive.

Jim Hill

Dec 9, 2016, 9:06:39 PM via Website

The micro usb is only for charging. Mine has a regular USB which can be connected to a PC for data transfer. I haven't had any problems. It's inconvenient as crap, but it's the price we pay for a "bargain" tablet. Good luck!

Carl Bradley

Dec 22, 2016, 12:16:53 AM via Website

Won't transfer with the app---not recognized.

Concerned Consumer

Jan 7, 2017, 1:42:44 AM via Website

Just use dropbox to transfer files

gary dewall

Aug 5, 2017, 4:55:09 AM via Website

Working on a friends RCA Tablet Model RCT6203W46. It won't download anything it just keeps running and running. I hooked up into the mico usb port with a reg usb female adapter on the other ene. Then hooked a reg usb cable from that to my desktop. My desktop won't find it, is there anyway to hook it up I would like to load some Programs from my desktop to the tablet. I tried to put a 16 gig stick into the adapter but it won't read it or I am way off in what I am doing. Can someone give me some info so I can either do it or just walk away frustrated.

gary dewall

Aug 5, 2017, 5:12:06 AM via Website

This one does not have a regular usb but has a micro hdmi port, (of course I have some hdmi cables but not one with a micro on one end) however, If I get one that should work to run some programs on the tablet, am I right or still acting dumb?(laughing)

mgogala

May 17, 2018, 3:06:02 AM via Website

I installed SFTP program and am able to connect to my Linux server without a problem. On my Windows laptop I installed Virtualbox and created a Ubuntu 16.04 VM, with bridged adapter. Again, sftp connection works perfectly. In addition to that network is faster than USB.