Fractview - Viewer for Fractals

• Replies:0
Karl Gmeiner
  • Forum posts: 1

Mar 1, 2016, 12:05:32 PM via Website

Hello, I would like to present my new app Fractview, a viewer for fractals like the mandelbrot set with support for arbitrary formulas. It is very versatile, in fact you can display and investigate all kinds of fractals or also view complex functions on the complex plain. This app is a completely new development and replaces my old app that had the same name (now FractViewLite).

Fractview is customizable and userfriendly and furthermore really fast because it uses the GPU to calculate fractals. And since it uses an interpreter in its backend, you can enter your own formulas, implement visualizations with orbit traps, or simulate magnetic pendulum. In the youtube channel Fractview you find some screen casts and you also find my blog on Fractview on Wordpress.com.

The app's core features are

• Moving/Scaling/Rotating/Sheering using very intuitive touch gestures (similar to Google Maps)
  • Immediate preview of the new fractal
  • Arbitrary formulas. In fact, everything that can be calculated can be drawn. There are some presets, from Mandelbrot Set, Newton fractals, Lyapunov fractals, Magnetic Pendulum simulation, Orbit traps, and so on...
  • Presets can be customized though an intuitive preference's menu. This includes a Julia-set mode implemented in most presets.
  • It uses the LAB-Colorspace and 2-dimensional color palettes
  • All calculations are done in a virtual machine implemented in Renderscript, Google's back-end for intense calculations. Thus, it is still very fast, factor 10 compared to FractViewLite.
  • Images can of course be saved and shared and you can freely pick the resolution
  • Copying and pasting of fractal descriptions (the youtube channel contains videos, and in my blog I showed a manual)
  • Free, open source (GPLv3), because beauty of mathematics is priceless ;)

To demonstrate the possibilies, the following image took only around 17 seconds on my Moto G2 to calculate for a resolution of 1280x960. It uses transparent orbit traps, an interation depth of 120, it is a normal newton julia set fractal with the formula "newton(z^3-p, z)" (yes, getting the derivative of the formular is implemented) and can be easily obtained from the "Orbit Trap Steiner Circles"-preset in the app.

User uploaded photo

You find more information on my Blog and in the Play Store.

Thanks for reading this far and all the best,
Karl