What should I set the Company Domain to?

• Replies:8
Ben Hutchinson
  • Forum posts: 13

Apr 7, 2016, 7:07:47 AM via Website

I see when I start a new project, it has a company domain. However, I'm not working at a software company, nor do I even have my own website. So I have no domain to use. What should I put in this field, if I want to make a legitimate app that Google will accept on their app store? Am I required to have a website prior to posting an app to Google Play store, so that my app will have an actual working domain? Or can I set this to anything I want it to be? Does Google basically require a person to have their own website before they will even consider apps submitted to them?

Ben Hutchinson
  • Forum posts: 13

Apr 8, 2016, 12:28:53 AM via Website

Does nobody really know the answer to this? I posted this yesterday, and not received a reply. When using Android Studio and starting a new project, it lets you use a default domain, but that's not my real domain, and in fact I don't have one. So if I want to upload an app to Google for others to download, am I required to get myself a website/domain so that I can fill this in properly? Or can I just select anything I want to fill it in with?

REZKY AULIA PRATAMA
  • Forum posts: 5

Apr 8, 2016, 4:32:46 AM via Website

Hai Ben,

The domain name is used by Android Studio to generate a package name. Your package name is just a unique identifier for your application in the Google Play Store. It can be anything you want as long as it is unique. Generally, i used reverse domain names like com.something. or org.something. structure for naming java packages.

jameselsworth30
  • Forum posts: 11

Jul 3, 2019, 8:55:44 AM via Website

Yes, you just need a simple website related to your app. And don't forget to add privacy policy page on website. B'coz Google Play store will not publish your app if your website will not have privacy policy page.

jameselsworth30
  • Forum posts: 11

Jul 3, 2019, 8:56:53 AM via Website

Do you provide hosting service as well?

Neeraj Aggarwal
  • Forum posts: 1

Oct 2, 2019, 9:47:56 AM via Website

package Id (bundle Id is name used on iOS) does not really matter except for the moments you see it like in the case of play store links. Yet, the only thing that technically matters is to make it unique among all published apps (which it is the case, otherwise you would not be able to publish).

However, as you already have app published, you are not able to change your package Id. It's already sealed. Forget it. The only thing you can do if you insist of having different package it is to withdraw current app from the store and publish the new one (even if the only thing that differs is the package Id). So if you want to do that and your user base is yet tiny, better hurry up.

marco sarli
  • Admin
  • Forum posts: 1,011

Oct 2, 2019, 10:08:32 AM via Website

A domain is really cheap. Get one so when you want you can set up a website. In the mean time you can use it for mail. Free domains are also an option. Usually they are 2nd level. Just google it.

Demixl
  • Forum posts: 50

Jan 15, 2020, 5:59:00 PM via Website

Hi, I remember that in order to make an application and for Google to accept it in the application store, it was necessary to have a site. At least that's what I keep in mind, maybe that has changed a lot and maybe Google has changed its principles. I could be more interested in this and already I can tell you. I remember once I had a project to do, a website and an application. Everything was fine until the site and the application was already published but the visitors were not. I lost hope until a friend told me to try to call an SEO company. I thought it wouldn't help, but I was wrong. Then I chose to promote the site with internettrafficservice.com, and I was not wrong with the choice. Now my site is quite popular.

Could you give me some more details about this service? How did it help you?

sjd dote
  • Forum posts: 1

Sep 5, 2020, 6:18:46 PM via Website

Ben Hutchinson

I see when I start a new project, it has a company domain. However, I'm not working at a software company, nor do I even have my own website. So I have no domain to use. What should I put in this field, if I want to make a legitimate app that Google will accept on their app store? Am I required to have a website prior to posting an app to Google Play store, so that my app will have an actual working domain? Or can I set this to anything I want it to be? Does Google basically require a person to have their own website before they will even consider apps submitted to them?

Yes, I think it's better to add domain in Google Play. It's helps to rank app well in Play Store.