What should I set the Company Domain to?

• Replies:2
  • OpenNot stickiedUnanswered
  • Forum posts: 13

Apr 7, 2016 7:07:47 AM via Website

I see when I start a new project, it has a company domain. However, I'm not working at a software company, nor do I even have my own website. So I have no domain to use. What should I put in this field, if I want to make a legitimate app that Google will accept on their app store? Am I required to have a website prior to posting an app to Google Play store, so that my app will have an actual working domain? Or can I set this to anything I want it to be? Does Google basically require a person to have their own website before they will even consider apps submitted to them?

• Forum posts: 13

Apr 8, 2016 12:28:53 AM via Website

Does nobody really know the answer to this? I posted this yesterday, and not received a reply. When using Android Studio and starting a new project, it lets you use a default domain, but that's not my real domain, and in fact I don't have one. So if I want to upload an app to Google for others to download, am I required to get myself a website/domain so that I can fill this in properly? Or can I just select anything I want to fill it in with?

• Forum posts: 5

Apr 8, 2016 4:32:46 AM via Website

Hai Ben,

The domain name is used by Android Studio to generate a package name. Your package name is just a unique identifier for your application in the Google Play Store. It can be anything you want as long as it is unique. Generally, i used reverse domain names like com.something. or org.something. structure for naming java packages.