Back up chats to save space

• Replies:1
quatreulls
  • Forum posts: 6

Apr 14, 2016, 3:41:31 PM via Website

My Motorola phone does not admit an external sd card. It still has about 3 Gb free but I'm afraid I'll be running out of internal storage space in just a few months. I could delete part of my music files but what's taking most space and growing ever larger are the whatsapp chats + images & video clips. So I've decided to back up these and thereafter delete them.

Now I'd like to do the backup starting at a specific date, say one week ago so the most recent chats entries are still available on the device. Is this possible? And how about deleting everything from that date back?

If this is not possible, what would be the way to go? Is there any way, even if it's cumbersome, to do it manually e.g. plugging the phone to a computer and using the Windows Explorer?

— modified on Apr 14, 2016, 3:48:10 PM

Jose P
  • Forum posts: 12

Apr 15, 2016, 4:55:21 AM via Website

I don't think there is a way to make backup starting at a specific date. When you backup, you backup all the existing data. Now the problem is that you need more free space, then you'd better find out what kind of data is filling up your storage. Generally speaking, WhatsApp messages don't occupy much space, but the videos/images you sent and received do.

1. Install a file manager app on your phone.
  2. Go to Internal storage > WhatsApp.
  3. Check the data usage.

Databases include the backups that WhatsApp automatically makes every day(it stores the last 7 days). Media are the images, audio, video. If you have a lot of media files, move them to your computer and delete them from your phone.

— modified on Apr 15, 2016, 5:05:11 AM