VPN and mobile data blocking

• Replies:6
Frank Enstein
  • Forum posts: 3

May 12, 2016, 2:48:06 AM via Website

Hello,

This is a question aimed to those that constantly say that everything that you can do on iOS you can do on Android.

So far I haven't find a way to do the following:

• Block certain apps from using mobile data at all
  • Use a VPN for privacy protection

So far I have two programs installed in my phone for this:

• Opera Max
  • PIA VPN

I cannot use those at the same time because both are VPN apps. So I have to choose between blocking some apps from using mobile data when I have no wifi available, or privacy on the phone. I need and want to be able to do both. I was able to do that in iOS since the mobile data blocking was a system setting that I could activate per app. The only closest thing that I found on Android is to block the background data usage, but that is not what I need/want.

So, how can I do that on Android? Block mobile data and use VPN at the same time? Oh, it has to be a solution that does not require me to root the phone.

Thank you.

Frank Enstein

May 14, 2016, 6:37:19 AM via Website

Seems that nobody has an answer to this... maybe not possible to do?

Ketty M.
  • Forum posts: 10

Aug 21, 2016, 7:48:40 PM via Website

Who said that everything that we do on an iOS device can be done on Android, really ? I don't agree iOS is completely different OS than Android

Brett Johnson
  • Forum posts: 24

Jul 11, 2017, 12:13:58 PM via Website

Hey there, I understand your issue there is a flow in your questions that, A VPN has nothing to do with your mobile data neither it can stop any certain app to stop using mobile data.
On the other hand, If you are looking for suggestions to get a VPN for your online privacy then 1 you mentioned PIA, I think it works fine but since you are complaining about it as well so you should contact their customer support or get a change.
I am sharing my own experience that I am a former user of PIA, the one you were using & second, PureVPN. They both work fine but If we talk about in terms of Online Privacy, I would suggest using PureVPN. PIA is also a good option but they are a little bit slower.
But you should do your homework before choosing any of them. So best of Luck. (angel) (Y)

Andrew Brown

Jul 11, 2017, 2:38:21 PM via Website

Good question. And what about using manual settings of VPN and using Netguard to block apps

Georgia Brooks
  • Forum posts: 14

Jul 27, 2017, 9:27:40 PM via Website

What android version are you using? In android 7.0 you can restrict any app from using DATA in background. I just double checked. I have a Galaxy S4 updated to a custom ROM.

— modified on Jul 27, 2017, 9:28:32 PM

Albert65565
  • Forum posts: 23

Apr 10, 2020, 8:14:08 AM via Website

I’m in China now. I use Touch VPN and hotspot shield. Definitely download more than one to both your phone and computer before you arrive because sometimes I just can’t get one working while another will be fine.