Does burying you phone in rice really works?

• Replies:8
Rave
  • Forum posts: 15

Aug 30, 2016, 9:10:30 AM via Website

I have heard that if you drop your phone in water then you just put phone in rice for 3 days and it will work properly. Is it true?

Bastian Siewers
  • Forum posts: 9,729

Aug 30, 2016, 9:46:10 AM via Website

Hi,

Well rice sucks up the water but placing your phone into rice can help but it doesn't always help. Water in a phone is pretty much the worst thing that can happen as the phone can still work right away but get damaged later on. So yeah, you can try putting your phone into rice whenever it gets in contact with water but its not a 100% solution.

Robby Fine
  • Forum posts: 4

Aug 30, 2016, 9:52:55 AM via Website

useful tips!

Alison Pohl
  • Forum posts: 17

Aug 30, 2016, 11:44:08 AM via Website

I tried this "useful" tip (when drawn my Sony in the sink) and it really works. Also, I immediately shut the phone off and removed the battery.

Paul Rentz

Paul Rentz
  • Forum posts: 1

Aug 31, 2016, 5:40:11 AM via Website

Alison points out the most important items- and this is true of ANY battery powered device- turn it off first, remove the battery second then don't try turning it on again until it's completely dry inside, then dry it again! The biggest problem for most is that they try the device before it is truly dry. I sold digital cameras and cell phones for years and that was the biggest problem. Customers would come in and tell me they dried the device before trying it and I'd look and see water droplets in the display- not dry yet! Removing the battery also allows more air into the device to help it dry along with removing any current from running through it.
Rice helps, a little warmth also- or an airflow but expect it to take days, not hours. For dSLR cameras I recommend sending it to a third party repair shop (Canon, Nikon, etc. won't accept wet cameras) and let them disassemble it to dry- you might try something similar with the phones as there are numerous local repair shops now, just get a good recommendation first. They can disassemble 'deeper' than we should and help get it really dry. (I had a Canon 60d and lens fixed by using these methods.)

Abby Ou
  • Forum posts: 29

Aug 31, 2016, 9:12:43 AM via Website

Is that true? One time my phone drop in water, and it's broken.....:'(

Hans Brown
  • Forum posts: 20

Apr 25, 2017, 5:58:57 PM via Website

I think my phone is dry now, but it turn on with a black screen.

Richard Anderson
  • Forum posts: 17

Jun 15, 2017, 10:57:39 PM via Website

Yes. It works for sure. I have personally tried it.

Deactivated Account
  • Forum posts: 30

Jul 3, 2017, 1:26:29 PM via Website

Well, what my friend experienced it did not work. He had an iPhone 5s dropped in water. Got it out, did not try to power on the device. Straightaway the first thing he did was put it in a bowl of Rice. But things did not get better. The device never came alive. May be it would have helped people but not in this case.