My Huawei P9 doesn't play MP3 files

• Replies:9
Amr Hossam El Din
  • Forum posts: 3

Oct 4, 2016, 11:46:10 AM via Website

Hi,

Just bought the P9, I added some music on the /new SD card in Mp3 & VLC format yet when trying to play any of them it doesn't work and I receive a message "Sorry failed to play the file" however the songs are readable by the device.

Formatted the SD and re tried, also used MP3 VAl to repair the files "after scanning there was no issues" , tried another player app. and I receive a message "file not supported" .
This is really annoying as first experience with Android. I used to have IOS :(
Any suggestions?

James Watson
  • Forum posts: 1,583

Oct 5, 2016, 6:30:26 AM via Website

1. Please make sure that your MP3 file is no problem.
  2. If its format is okay, then perhaps the stock player app of your mobile doesn't support MP3 at all. Try to get another famous music player app from Google Play. Good luck to you.

Download size < 0.15 MB. But also accurate enough, ad-free & free.
The minimalist app available on Play Store: https://goo.gl/ws42fN
Blog: https://okblackcafe.blogspot.com Your 5-star is appreciated.

Amr Hossam El Din

Oct 5, 2016, 7:16:25 AM via Website

Thank you James,
I tried another app from Google store and faced same issue.
Downloaded new mp3 files directly from sound cloud to SD, it played well then after few hours received the same old error and couldn't play!! However I formatted the SD and scanned it for any errors, reinserted again and went through the whole thing and facing same problem

Bastian Siewers
  • Forum posts: 9,729

Oct 5, 2016, 11:16:03 AM via Website

Hello Amr,

to be honest, it sounds to me like the P9 has a software issue. As you just bought the device, I would not tinker around and try to solve it yourself, I would simply get a replacement.

Amr Hossam El Din

Amr Hossam El Din

Oct 5, 2016, 7:57:48 PM via Website

Thanks Bastian,
But when the files saved to the internal device memory they work normally. I just checked today and found that the mp3 file saved on SD disappeared while others on the internal memo are there and working.
Don't you think it could be the SD issue or comaptabality thing? Should I try another SD first?
I bought the device from Dubai last week while now I'm in Egypt so replacement is not an option for me that's why I'm trying to resolve 😐

— modified on Oct 5, 2016, 10:15:36 PM

Bastian Siewers
  • Forum posts: 9,729

Oct 6, 2016, 10:12:07 AM via Website

Hi!

Well of course, trying a different SD Card is faster and cheaper than getting a replacement. I thought you already tried that, sorry, my bad :)

Melissa White
  • Forum posts: 12

Oct 7, 2016, 1:58:25 PM via Website

Are you using the default media and music players on your device? Why not try downloading other media and music players from the Play Store to see if that will fix your problems.

Darryl Voss
  • Forum posts: 1

Sep 16, 2017, 10:49:44 PM via Website

I recently bought a P9 which played the sd card mp3 files ok. The phone got lost and I bought a new P9. I copied all the same mp3 files from my pc to a new sd card on the new phone. About half of them won't play. I'm at a loss to know what to do. Would appreciate any guidance please.

Matthew Patton

Apr 30, 2018, 7:10:40 AM via Website

Hey Darryl I recently bought the Ascend XT2 and gotten the same the same problem. It recognizes the file but says it's length is 0:00 right?

— modified on Apr 30, 2018, 7:11:44 AM

devid97

Jan 8, 2019, 2:11:30 PM via Website

Have you any suggestions about which music player to choose? There are so many.

I followed the instructions to copy and paste music into the music play on my p9 but I had the same problem when trying to play them - they fail