WhatsApp Contact Detail Suppression

• Replies:0
James Rocks
  • Forum posts: 1

Jan 7, 2017, 4:10:40 PM via Website

Hi,

So, I've been trying to get a friend on to WhatsApp but he's resisting and he highlighted a very good point, the first really valid point against WhatsApp that I've heard. I'm aware of the most notable pros and cons of course but had never thought of this one.

When you install WhatsApp, it changes your contacts list. If someone on your contact list is also on WhatsApp they will have a new option that says you can WhatsApp them. I have checked this and it appears to be correct ... my family do have that option yet two people (including my friend) who I know don't have it also don't have that option.

For this friend of mine the problem is that he has a large number of more distant family members in different countries who he knows use WhatsApp, these family members will see he's on WhatsApp and add him to their discussion groups. He loves them of course but he simple doesn't want to get involved in such family discussions because it will disturb his daily routine (he's a writer). If added to a discussion group he doesn't feel like he can refuse and also feels there would be pressure to participate.

So, to my question ... is there any way that you can effectively stop (suppress) people knowing you are available on WhatsApp?

Thx

Keke