WhatsApp contacts column disappeared

• Replies:8
  • Answered
kquestion
  • Forum posts: 2

Feb 25, 2017, 11:35:44 PM via Website

My contacts list (column) on WhatsApp has suddenly disappeared. I can still see the Chats column (with the relevant contacts in it), and ironically when I click on the chat icon, it lists my contacts. So how do I get the contacts column to come back? When I open WhatsApp now, the top menu shows (from left to right): 1- The camera icon. 2- Chats. 3- Status. 4- Calls. It should have a Contacts column, but that has disappeared.

I use a Samsung S4 mini.

I have tried refreshing the contacts, as well as toggling "show hidden contacts", but that didn't work. I even uninstalled and reinstalled WhatsApp, but still no good.

I don't think it's a permissions issue, because as I said above, when I click on the chat icon, it gives me a list of all my contacts.

Thanks in advance.

Doyle Kaufman
  • Forum posts: 1

Mar 4, 2017, 5:27:26 PM via Website

I'm having exactly the same problem and was searching for a remedy when I found your post. It's been working fine and all of a sudden my Contacts icon on the Whatsapp home screen disappeared. If you or anyone found a solution, let me know. When I open Whatsapp, I now have exactly as you described... 1- The camera icon. 2- Chats. 3- Status. 4- Calls.

Bastian Siewers
  • Forum posts: 9,729

Mar 6, 2017, 11:04:09 AM via Website

Hi,

WhatsApp has changed that with the last update and there is no solution for it. The old contacts list is gone.

kquestion

kquestion
  • Forum posts: 2

Mar 10, 2017, 10:22:05 PM via Website

Thanks Bastian Siewers.
But to the WhatsApp genius who decided to do that: You should be fired!

Jacqueline A

USA

Mar 11, 2017, 1:05:05 PM via Website

Hi all, I was having the same problem, my contacts icon at the bottom disappeared so I was left wondering how to send a mesg to someone who was not already in my chats list. However with some playing around I figured out how to access my contacts list...
tap the write icon in the top right corner of the screen and you will see the list off all your contacts who use WhatsApp and you can then send them a mesg... yahhh!!!

TAS

May 15, 2017, 12:10:08 PM via Website

No my friend it is not that you lost all your contact.
I ll share how it was solved for my HTC M9. It only happens when your whatsapp auto sync stopped working.

Go to phone setting and then tap - account and sync page. You will notice that your sync for whatsapp has stopped working and shown sync sign in RED color. Tap the sync red sign and tap again the three vertical dots on right top corner (HTC M9) then tab "sync now". ( Try to sync it manually). It may not sync immediately giving you a error that "sync is not available, will come back shortly". Wait for some time and it may lead to a day or two. So have pateince , try to sync again manually ,, it will become green. Once it is green go to Whatsapp and you will have all your contacts back as it was..
Also make sure to keep the auto sync at ON.
I hope it will help as it worked for me.

Orient Projects. (Orient Projects)

Jun 28, 2017, 9:37:15 AM via Website

I had exactly the same problem, however I was advised to click the green icon at the bottom in the new update, that is used to write new messaging, it shows all the contacts in alphabetical order, it may help. for my case it helped me, because I wanted to go to a specific friend to review a post and respond, but still the contacts column was better.

I wish to have this helpful.

Mohd

Robert Fridman

Oct 3, 2017, 8:38:49 PM via Website

Hi,
It's true that the Contacts tab no longer exists in WhatsApp but I happen to stumble upon an app called GroupApp that
brought it back to life with many other cool features. In fact, in the Contacts tab in this app you don't only see your WhatsApp contacts but also the common groups you share with them, right in the list of contacts. There is also a Groups tab where you can see only your WhatsApp groups and it lets you do stuff like duplicate and merge groups. The coolest feature there is the ability to generate different kind of graphs based on your WhatsApp usage.
You can search for "quora how to duplicate a whatsapp group" and check out the answer in Quora to see some screenshots and explanation of how to use this app.

Felix Shepton

Dec 24, 2017, 10:10:37 AM via Website

'It's true that the Contacts tab no longer exists in WhatsApp but I happen to stumble upon an app called GroupApp that '

I don't want another APP. I want WhatsApp to make their app as user friendly as possible.

WhatsApp. Please return the 'Add Contact' icon. You are making it difficult to add a contact.