Help with moving between phones after changing a number

• Replies:3
noam b
  • Forum posts: 1

Mar 1, 2017, 5:26:44 PM via Website

My friend has switched phones, she had a galaxy s4 with her whatsapp account tied to an old number, what I told her to do is first change the primary number in the app, make sure she has back up to cloud on, and then download whatsapp on her new phone (oneplus 3) and sign in with the new number. Unfortunately whatsapp then said it couldn't restore messages and asked if she wants to restore from an older back up, she clicked yes but it just kept restoring forever. So then we after reinstalled whatsapp on her new phone, transfered the backup from her old phone manually (from the WhatsApp databases folder) in her new phone and placed the backup in its database folder, hoping it'll restore from a local backup, but the same thing happend. What should she do?

Suri Jay
  • Forum posts: 3

Mar 1, 2017, 7:43:21 PM via Website

Samsung phones has an app called smart switch if your friend has the old phone she can send the whatsapp data to the new phone with using Smart Switch. If she does not have it in her old phone then she need to download it through Samsung apps. That went well in my case so I hope your friend will get the back ups.

Wesley W.
  • Forum posts: 14

Mar 2, 2017, 5:00:03 AM via Website

Your steps are totally right. I seems no problem. However, in that case, you might try transfer software, though i don't think it worth.

brad haddin
  • Forum posts: 3

Mar 3, 2017, 8:33:13 AM via Website

does that app work with other vednors too? like Huawei to Samsung or the other way around? or just samsung to samsung?