RCA Viking Pro Tablet not responding to USB OTG

• Replies:6
Rick Rodriguez
  • Forum posts: 1

Apr 4, 2017, 9:22:35 PM via Website

I recently bought 2 RCA Viking Pro 10.1" tablets for my girls. They were using my work Tablet to play Roblox using an XBOX 360 controller. So I seen on YouTube that you can also connect the game controller to a Tablet by simply using a USB OTG. So I bought 2 OTG's, connected them to the tablet with the game controller and no power at all, they didn't work. I know the OTG is good because I plugged it into my LG phone and the controller works fine. I've read somewhere that RCA tablets Micro USB can only be used to charge battery. Because the regular USB 2.0 works fine if I plug in a mouse.

So my question is to anyone that has had this experience or knows a way to go around it. How do I get either an XBOX 360 or PS4 game controller to work on this RCA Tablet? I heard something about ROOTING it, but I'm not familiar with it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

The_mms

Apr 11, 2017, 3:55:17 AM via Website

Hey having the same problem can't use my xbox one controller with OTG cable on my RCA viking 10 android tablet.

Kylerspa

Mar 4, 2018, 4:36:56 AM via Website

usb micro charging only. usb mini accepts otg.

Casper Young
  • Forum posts: 8

Jul 8, 2018, 8:38:52 PM via Website

So far to my understanding, many people are finding the Viking Pro 10.1 (RCA/RCT6303W87M) is not accessable via USB or otherwise. It seems that RCA has turned off USB access in it's programing therefore blocking any attempts to flash a custom ROM and Recovery. It may be possible to root the device by downloading Kingoroot to a flash drive and plug it into the USB port and then loading it into the RCA tablet. However, I have yet to try this. The reasons I haven't so far is because I can't find any firmware that will install without bricking the device.
I can't post a link as of yet, but just look up kingoroot (NOT KINGROOT), which may or may not Root the device. BE ADVISED, I have not tried it, so don't know what results you may get.

Casper Young
  • Forum posts: 8

Aug 14, 2018, 12:53:18 AM via Website

Evidently Kingoroot worked rather well. I took the apk and placed it on an sd card, then slipped it into of course. Pulled up the file and click to install. been in there for a while now with no problems. Current difficulty? No ROMs or programs available. However, I'm going to dig around in it and see what I can do. First thing is to replace the MTK/OTG with an adequate USB serial. At least I'm in it. And this things missing a lot..

Dennis McCunney
  • Forum posts: 9

Apr 9, 2019, 2:13:51 AM via Website

I have one of these, running 5.0 Lollipop. (I got that version so I could root it.)

Because you can't access the tablet from a desktop via an OTG cable, you have to use on an device root apk.

Kingoroot's apk did not work here. It bounced off with a Java error, and suggested I try the PC version.

King Root's apk did work, but with annoyances.

When you install and run it, the opening screen wants you to install stuff like their Purify app. You can swipe that to one side to get to the rooting screen, but that's not obvious. It successfully roots the device, but sends weird notifications about things wanting root and letting you allow or deny but not being obvious about what made the request. It's also non-intuitive to find the screen which lists what has been granted root access.

And most annoying, King Root tries to establish several connections to IP addresses in China and phone home. That's not that hard to block. The open source AFWall+ Android app is an interface to the underlying IPTables Linux firewall function that lets you create a rule that blocks outgoing connections by King Root, and I did. (AFWall+ requires root to work.)

The longer term solution is to uninstall King Root, but you need to install an su application to replace King Root's first, or uninstalling King Root will unroot the device. My preference is Chainfire's SuperSu, but King Root camps out on the su binary and blocks SuperSu from working. The solution for that appears to be adding a zip file to an accessible directory on your device, opening a terminal emulator, typing "su" to get a root prompt, then running a script as root that will get King Root out of the way. The script assumes it will run in /phone/. If that's not where you put it you must edit the script to specify the correct directory. That's next on my list, but I haven't gotten to it.

Dennis McCunney
  • Forum posts: 9

Apr 9, 2019, 2:15:42 AM via Website

@Casper Young:
Evidently Kingoroot worked rather well. I took the apk and placed it on an sd card, then slipped it into of course. Pulled up the file and click to install. been in there for a while now with no problems.

Which version of Kingforoot's apk did you use? I tried the most recent one available from the Kingoapp site and it failed here. As mentioned, King Root did, but is going away soonish.

— modified on Apr 9, 2019, 2:20:45 AM