Whatsapp not detecting back-up from google drive after factory reset

• Replies:1
CaptainPurrr
  • Forum posts: 1

Jul 29, 2017, 5:58:53 PM via Website

Hello.
So I did a factory reset cause something was wrong with my system data. I copied all my pictures and music stuff to my pc, and made a backup of whatsapp to google drive. I didn't copy the internal back-up to my pc.
So all I have is the google drive back-up. I thought that was enough, but when whatsapp ask for a restore, it says my google drive account doesn't have any back-ups. That is strange because the back-up is clearly there. So what do I do? I tried googling around, but couldn't find anything. And I really want to have those messages back.

I have a Medion phone with the mode number X5020. Android version 5.0.2.

I did change my phone number once. A few months ago. I got a new SIM card back then. But I didn't manually change my phone number in whatsapp because it was still working. Could have have influenced anything?

Thanks in advance.

PakRayon
  • Forum posts: 48

Aug 2, 2017, 4:14:49 AM via Website

I think it is because of the new phone number. Usually WhatsApp won't verify phone number after the first log in and that's why you can use WhatsApp with the new number. However, the backup may only recognize the phone number that was initially linked with.

You may firstly make sure that the backup on your Google Drive still exists. Visit drive.google.com, log in, click the Gear icon on the upper-right corner, choose Settings> Manage Apps, then find WhatsApp Messenger from the right list. If you have WhatsApp backup on the Google Drive account, there should show "Hidden app data" and total size.

If you still have the old phone number and it is active, you may use it to restore backup from Google Drive to your phone, and then transfer WhatsApp account to new number and make new backup.

— modified on Aug 2, 2017, 4:29:33 AM