How do I transfer chats from my old phone+old SIM to my new phone+new SIM?

• Replies:8
Amal Desai
  • Forum posts: 1

Aug 8, 2017, 3:16:01 AM via Website

Hi,
So I had a Moto G 2014, and I bought a Moto G5 plus. I want to transfer my WhatsApp chats and media from the old SIM in the G 2014 to the new SIM in the G5+. I'd prefer to do it locally, using crypt12 files if possible, but of course if it isn't I'm open to using Google Drive. Thanks!

AC&MM
  • Forum posts: 1,155

Aug 8, 2017, 4:02:34 AM via Website

Amal Desai

Hi,
So I had a Moto G 2014, and I bought a Moto G5 plus. I want to transfer my WhatsApp chats and media from the old SIM in the G 2014 to the new SIM in the G5+. I'd prefer to do it locally, using crypt12 files if possible, but of course if it isn't I'm open to using Google Drive. Thanks!

Definitely, no. 'Cause your WhatsApp account is linked to your phone number. So if you wanna change your phone number you, naturally, you're creating a new account. You can take all pics, docs, audios or videos that's inside the Internal memory/WhatsApp/Media. You just need to choose what you wanna recover from within the folders.

If you find something wrong in the text, feel free to correct me.

— modified on Aug 8, 2017, 4:03:52 AM

AC&MM
Galaxy J7 Pro
Moto X Force
Galaxy Tab S3

Ann
  • Forum posts: 5

Aug 8, 2017, 6:23:39 AM via Website

I think it is better to use a google drive account and you may store all your files.

Bastian Siewers
  • Forum posts: 9,729

Aug 8, 2017, 9:45:16 AM via Website

Hi Amal, welcome to AndroidPIT! :)

You need to use the old or the new number for both phones to be able to transfer the chats. Either use the old number in the new phone again after saving all the chats on the old phone and type in the SMS-code you receive on the old phone. Or change the number in WhatsApp on your old phone to your new one, back up your data and then register WhatsApp on the new phone and restore the backup.

ajazgames
  • Forum posts: 137

Aug 8, 2017, 11:38:40 AM via Website

some times without backup the date i used to click clear data ...is that possible to restore

martin smith
  • Forum posts: 277

Aug 8, 2017, 12:56:45 PM via Website

Better to use google drive to backup chats..

AC&MM
  • Forum posts: 1,155

Aug 8, 2017, 2:23:04 PM via Website

Bastian Siewers

Hi Amal, welcome to AndroidPIT! :)

You need to use the old or the new number for both phones to be able to transfer the chats. Either use the old number in the new phone again after saving all the chats on the old phone and type in the SMS-code you receive on the old phone. Or change the number in WhatsApp on your old phone to your new one, back up your data and then register WhatsApp on the new phone and restore the backup.

Yeah. It makes sense. I think that's the better way to solve this problem.

AC&MM
Galaxy J7 Pro
Moto X Force
Galaxy Tab S3

PakRayon
  • Forum posts: 48

Aug 18, 2017, 5:25:10 AM via Website

I'm also curious about this question. Is this possible? You know, WhatsApp allows users to change WhatsApp to new phone number. We back up chats with the old number to Google Drive first. After changing to the new phone number (new SIM card), the account and backup should also be linked with new number. Now, we install and log in WhatsApp on the new phone (sign in with the same Google Drive account) with the new phone number, and see whether we can restore chats from Google Drive backup.

If not, then, on the old phone, you should be able to use the new number to make a backup. Then try again on the new phone.

— modified on Aug 18, 2017, 5:27:30 AM