Problem with Reverse Tethering on Nexus 7 Tablet Running Marshmallow (6.01)

• Replies:0
Ben Collingsworth
  • Forum posts: 1

Nov 1, 2017, 7:51:43 PM via Website

I'm trying to get an Ethernet TCP/IP connection between a Windows 7 PC and a Nexus 7 tablet running Android 6.01 (Marshmallow) using a "regular" USB cable (i.e., NOT using a USB to RJ45 dongle). The documentation I've found refers to this as "Reverse Tethering".

My problem is: I can't get the tablet to configure an RNDIS network device on the USB port. The following are notes on what I've tried and what I've seen:

On the Tablet:

• I enabled developer mode on the tablet. From the developer options, I enabled USB DEBUGGING, set the USB configuration to RNDIS (USB Ethernet), and plugged the other end of the cable into the PC.

• I'm a little concerned that in the Settings->Wireless & networks->more menu, there isn't a "tethering & portable hotspot" option on the tablet. I believe this option only applies to tethering of the WiFi network, so I don't think it's an issue.

• On the tablet, I entered the command sequence:
    setprop sys.usb.config 'rndis'
    ip rule add from all lookup main
    ip addr flush dev rndis0

The last command fails because there isn't a rndis0 device. Further, the first two commands have no impact on the devices listed with ifconfig (i.e., rndis device still missing)

On the Windows 7 PC:

• When the tablet is plugged in, the Network Adapter "Remote NDIS based Internet Sharing Device" appears in the Device Manager->Network adapters list.

• I configured the "Remote NDIS based Internet Sharing Device" with a static IP address and Subnet mask.

• The Local Area Connection associated with the RNDIS device shows a status of "Network cable unplugged" in the Network and Sharing Center.

Again, none of the steps described above have resulted in an RNDIS interface (or any change at all) in the list provided by ifconfig on the tablet.

Any ideas or suggestions would greatly appreciated.

Thanks