USB Host mode without OTG cable.

• Replies:4
Nikhil MS
  • Forum posts: 3

Feb 12, 2018, 7:46:28 AM via Website

Hi,
I am Nikhil. I am an Embedded system developer. I want to interface my device with an android phone via usb. Android phone should be in host mode and my device should be in client mode. When connecting using normal data cable, my device is not detected. But when I use an OTG cable, my device is detected. In normal data cable pin 4 & 5 of micro B type is opened and in OTG cable its shorted(for changing to host mode).
My Question is, by using an android app is it possible to change to host mode without monitoring pin 4 of micro B USB and without using OTG cable?. That is, when my device is connected no need to detect it. When I opened my app the phone should changed to host mode and then communicates with my device. Is it possible???.

AleRibeiro
  • Forum posts: 1

Jan 24, 2019, 2:31:12 PM via Website

Did you solve this issue?

Helpful?
Nikhil MS
  • Forum posts: 3

Feb 1, 2019, 7:48:28 AM via Website

No, posted the question in few forums and didn't got any support.

My intention was to avoid the OTG cable for connectivity. Because if the software is capable of switching the android phone to host mode i just need a data cable for connectivity (which is available with the mobile charger itself).

Now i designed the connectivity like this. Mobile -> OTG -> data cable -> slave device.

Helpful?
Sorin
alice434
  • Forum posts: 13

Mar 4, 2019, 10:37:36 AM via Website

Same issue I have faced too.

Helpful?
Nikhil MS
pradeep_gupta
  • Forum posts: 17

May 27, 2019, 10:11:29 AM via Website

Oh, is it even possible to do? I heard this for the first time.
How can OTG be self hosted without a link.

Helpful?