Studio 3 Cannot get emulator to work

• Replies:27
  • OpenNot stickiedAnswered
  • Forum posts: 685

Apr 3, 2018 11:48:37 AM via Website

Mike Machnicki

Yes good idea but I cant see how to do that, from command prompt there are no admin parameters and cannot find how to run it from windows

Click 'Start' icon of your Windows 7,
In Start menu, right-click on menu item, AVD Manager.
In the pop-up context menu, then select 'Run with admin privileges'.
In AVD Manager dialog, select your emulator, then click 'Start'.

Btw, I see. I just look forward to a 5-star rating for my free app. Thanks in advance. :D

Helpful?
  • Forum posts: 15

Apr 3, 2018 3:27:59 PM via Website

No such joy, there is no item on the start menu, in the start menu Android folder the only item is android studio. I have searched in windows explorer and cannot find it

Helpful?

Apr 4, 2018 2:19:16 AM via Website

Mike Machnicki

No such joy, there is no item on the start menu, in the start menu Android folder the only item is android studio. I have searched in windows explorer and cannot find it

I see now. On my PC, I have installed 'Android SDK Tools'. So there is a folder named with 'Android SDK Tools' in my Start menu. And that's why I can find the menu item 'AVD Manager' in that folder or in the Start menu.

You can also start your emulator from Android Studio.
Android Studio - Tools - Android - AVD Manager, select the emulator, Start.

Anyway I mean you should start those tools with admin privileges from which you will start the emulator. Thus your emulator will be running with admin privileges. Good luck to you.

— modified on Apr 4, 2018 2:39:12 AM

Helpful?
Best answer

Apr 4, 2018 2:23:12 AM via Website

James_Watson

Mike Machnicki

I see now. On my PC, I have installed 'Android SDK Tools'. So there is a folder named with 'Android SDK Tools' in my Start menu. And that's why I can find the menu item 'AVD Manager' in that folder or in the Start menu.

Anyway I mean you should start those tools with admin privileges from which you will start the emulator. Thus your emulator will be running with admin privileges. Good luck to you.

Helpful?

Apr 4, 2018 10:41:45 AM via Website

James: Thanks for your help and advice. I am getting to the point of giving up on Android Studio 3.1
I have found the the permissions on pstore.bin get set to read only on exiting the emulator. If I remove the read only I don't get the Permission denied error, but it still hangs!
Interesting that the release notes say "If you are still getting hangs file a report" on the last two releases.
I think the basic problem is one of compatibility between the latest Studio and an old low range computer with Win 7 adding an extra level of confusion. My next move is to uninstall studio and try an older version. I did try to install Ubuntu to USB stick, but my version of Windows 7 pro will not boot from an ISO. If all this fails I will get a new computer Win 10 with i5-7400 processor and set it up to dual boot with Ubuntu

Helpful?

Apr 4, 2018 10:52:24 AM via Website

Mike Machnicki

James: Thanks for your help and advice. I am getting to the point of giving up on Android Studio 3.1
I have found the the permissions on pstore.bin get set to read only on exiting the emulator. If I remove the read only I don't get the Permission denied error, but it still hangs!
Interesting that the release notes say "If you are still getting hangs file a report" on the last two releases.
I think the basic problem is one of compatibility between the latest Studio and an old low range computer with Win 7 adding an extra level of confusion. My next move is to uninstall studio and try an older version. I did try to install Ubuntu to USB stick, but my version of Windows 7 pro will not boot from an ISO. If all this fails I will get a new computer Win 10 with i5-7400 processor and set it up to dual boot with Ubuntu

That's okay. still looking forward to a 5-star... (smug)

Helpful?

Apr 4, 2018 11:10:55 AM via Website

Looked at conversion apps but could not definitively identify yours, could not find your name, what does the icon look like in Google play, and what should I search for

Helpful?

Apr 4, 2018 12:22:54 PM via Website

Mike Machnicki

Looked at conversion apps but could not definitively identify yours, could not find your name, what does the icon look like in Google play, and what should I search for

I wrote a message to you just now. The link of the app screenshot is in my forum signature. (smug)

Helpful?