Motorola Moto G — Moto G switches off by itself, either overheating or battery calibration, cannot figure

• Replies:9
vrated
  • Forum posts: 4

May 20, 2018, 10:04:40 AM via Website

My Moto G is switching off by itself pretty much whenever I use it a little more, or sometimes just as I start using it. Even if I have 45% battery it suddenly shows 0% battery and switches off. After it has switched itself off, it behaves as if it had no battery, meaning that I can only switch it on and have it on afterwards, if putting it on charge/with powerbank. Means for majority of the time, to use it, I need to connect it to powerbank, which is crazy. Even when connected to powerbank, it is often living its own life, lagging, responding inappropriately, or suddenly closing apps. Yesterday it switched off 7 times, and since I also have internal SD card that works as internal memory, I also see that it reacts on this constant switching off, and for a short while, when powering on, shows as not being read, which means I'm afraid even the SD is gonna be damaged in the end.

I was thinking it could be that battery isnt calibrated properly, but I have had the phone for almost a year and had no problems before. This whole switching off started a couple of days ago out of thin air.

The phone gets warm, so I'm wondering can it be overheating? Lagging and app closing could indicate that. We have summer here and 20C, but a phone should be able to survive 20 degrees Celsius one would think. I dont even play games on it.

I have had batteries dying on two Samsung Galaxies, and there I see battery going rapidly down, not just jumping from 40% to 0%.

Would factory reset help? The same problem persists in Safe mode as well, I tried. Dont really know how to proceed. Would charging to full 100% and then going down to 0% (dunno how as I cant even start it without powerbank) and again to 100% help? Could it be battery calibration problem?? Any advice much appreciated.

Deactivated Account
  • Forum posts: 819

May 20, 2018, 2:51:15 PM via Website

Vrated
I think you may have discovered the problem yourself! You may have a bad battery.
I think you can have the battery checked free of charge at the store you purchased the phone at.
I do have something that may or may not help.
A lot of andriod phone owners don't know that when you are done using a app. It doesn't shut down by itself.
You have to find your active apps file, and shut down the app. after you are done using it. If you don't do this the app. will continue to run, and that will be a additional drain on your battery! And if you leave a lot of apps. open that could drain your battery charge very quickly.
Again-find your Active apps file, and shut down all apps. after you are done using them!
I hope that helps!
Lindsay

Helpful?
vrated

May 20, 2018, 3:05:42 PM via Website

Yes, the inactive apps, of course.. I tend to switch them off when I have too many running. I guess my problem is a worse one here, unless there has been an update I havent paid attention to, it could be battery due to overheating. And as we know, MotoG has inbuilt battery that I cant change myself. I bought it from abroads, so saving the phone is all up to me, no guarantee here any more. Im wondering if charging to 100%-emptying to 0%-charging to 100% might help, or doing a factory reset can help.

Helpful?
Deactivated Account

May 20, 2018, 3:19:02 PM via Website

Vrated
A couple other things that i do to save my battery life.
1. Shut down your GPS.
Thats a battery hog, and you don't need it untill you use your navigation app. (Like google maps).
2. Your Wifi signal locater.....Another battery hog! And the only signals it finds are usally secured with a pin or a password, and you can't use them if you want too!
But i really think you may have a defective battery, and you should have it checked.
A bad battery could heat up to the point where it explodes into a fire.

Helpful?
Deactivated Account

May 20, 2018, 3:31:36 PM via Website

Doing a factory reset probably won't have any positive results.
However! When you mentioned updates.
A light bulb went off.....!
Apple just got in a lot of trouble for sending out a update that made the I Phone batteries drain at a very fast rate.
Maybe Motorola is trying to do the same thing? Just a gut feeling i had.

Helpful?
Duckbear Lab
  • Forum posts: 11

May 22, 2018, 1:51:16 AM via Website

Have you tried maybe switching the battery?

Helpful?
vrated

May 22, 2018, 10:43:36 PM via Website

Can't switch the battery, Moto G3 is welded together, so I can't get to the battery. Otherwise it would be the first thing to try.. I also observe that it does work if i barely use it, and especially if I dont use it, lets say, in warm environment such as a bus. If I would try to chat for 20 minutes in a bus, it would switch off for sure!

Helpful?
Deactivated Account

May 22, 2018, 11:39:17 PM via Website

Vrated
I have never heard of a smartphone that you could not change the battery in!
Are you sure you can't remove the back of that phone? :?
I hope you didn't pay very much for it!
Because my only suggestion at this point is for you to go and buy a new phone!
If that battery is overheating and losing it's change that fast, it could start a fire or even explode! And you don't want to be anywhere near it if THAT HAPPENS!
If it is still under warranty, get your money back and buy a new and better device!

Helpful?
vrated

Jun 1, 2018, 9:21:51 PM via Website

Yeah it is really true, the back on Moto G3 is welded and I dont get in. It is really weird, I have been observing it for a while and it seems that some days it is ok and some days it is useless. I think it might be reacting on heat, especially if I use it much. Right now will try to get it down to 0 and then recharge full, see if it helps

Helpful?
Deactivated Account

Jun 1, 2018, 10:49:59 PM via Website

Vrated
Again, i urge you to get rid of that phone before that battery goes critical and explodes !
For your own safety!

Helpful?