New phone contacts to old WhatsApp account

• Replies:5
Brent
  • Forum posts: 3

Aug 25, 2018, 10:57:00 AM via Website

Hope someone can help with this problem.
I had two accounts apparently linked to my old Australian number. I've had a HTC phone for a few years and even when I changed phone numbers, one of the two accounts still worked under the older number, which was fine, and even when I moved to the UK my WhatsApp (the newer one) worked fine, again, even with a new UK sim and phone number.

The problem started when I bought a new phone, a Google Pixel recently. When I installed WhatsApp, it brought up my old account from two years ago. I thought that if I updated my phone number to the UK number (on my older HTC phone), this would fix the problem, but now I have my current account (with lots of new contacts and threads) on my old phone and my old WhatsApp account on my new Pixel phone. How can I get the Pixel to recognise my newer account?

Frankie

Aug 26, 2018, 4:51:58 PM via Website

I'm having a similar problem. I've been fighting it the past two days. I finally deleted my old account (under the new number) and am now reinstalling whatsapp. Unfortunately, my new number has now been locked out because I've tried so many times to reinstall it before I just tried deleting it altogether, so I have to wait several more hours to see if it works. (angry)

— modified on Aug 26, 2018, 4:54:17 PM

Helpful?
Brent

Aug 26, 2018, 7:33:42 PM via Website

Let me know Frankie if you're able to fix it. I've written directly to the WhatsApp team, but haven't had an answer yet.

Helpful?
Frankie

Aug 27, 2018, 9:14:14 AM via Website

Just tried, now it's going to make me wait two more days to register, after waiting 24 hours already. :'(

Helpful?
Frankie

Sep 1, 2018, 3:17:08 PM via Website

Well, I don.t know if my experience will give you any insight, but here goes.

I had an old Samsung Galaxy S4 that I wanted to use in the UK for several days. I bought a prepaid UK sim, and installed it. Then I installed What's App. Since my phone had all my contacts on it, I figured that it would pick up the ones that had What's App. Nooooo... Only two of contacts appeared, but I knew that several more had What's App. I went crazy trying to get my other contacts to appear. I thought that I must have once installed What's App, and that it was vestiges of the old account were lurking. As it turns out...(leaving out hours of trouble shooting here)

I finally deleted the account under the UK number, uninstalled What's App on the phone, and reinstalled it using a U.S. number I have on a dumb phone. Worked fine, all my contacts EXCEPT THE TWO THAT ORIGINALLY CAME UP were there. Could not figure out why, but they were two people I hadn't spoken to in years, so decided not to worry about it. Then I tried changing the number to the UK Sim. It gave me the option to only notify certain people on my contact list of my change in number, so I only clicked on a few. When, What's App FINALLY allowed me to reactivate the UK number, the contacts that I had clicked came up, AND THE TWO THAT DIDN'T COME UP WITH THE U.S. NUMBER. Upon a closer look, the two contacts that kept appearing weren't my contacts...they were complete strangers with the same name that have UK numbers, even though I'm quite sure both of the my contacts are in the States, and those UK numbers are not in my phone. So strange.

So yesterday I had a friend download What's APP and I put my sim number into her contacts. I popped right up in her contacts. But, on my phone with the Sim, nothing, even though I put her number in my phone in international format and refreshed my contact list. So, I thought that's What's App accessed the contact list on my phone, and determined which numbers on the list are registered with What's App, and then those contacts would pop up as a what's app contact. But something else is going on. For some reason, What's App can't access my contacts with the UK Sim in it.

Helpful?
Brent

Sep 1, 2018, 6:42:19 PM via Website

Hi Frankie, any luck after waiting another two days?

Helpful?