Samsung Galaxy S3 mini — Change Operating System

• Replies:7
  • Answered
Eightysevens
  • Forum posts: 4

Sep 25, 2018, 4:43:04 PM via Website

I have a Galaxy S3 Mini which works fine, but I want to know if it's possible to change the operating system. Currently I have Android version 4.1.2. Some apps are no longer supporting my device, & there doesn't seem to be a way to further update the Android OS. Are there any other OS's that are more modern & compatible with this device?

Any other suggestions welcomed.

Best answer
Deactivated Account
  • Forum posts: 819

Sep 25, 2018, 11:16:36 PM via Website

You can update your mini s3 to the lollipop 5.0 software!
I looked it up on the internet for you!
Web site address;
https://www.android.gs/update-galaxy-s3-mini...
This address may not be complete, but do this web search like I did and you will find that site.
Web search;
Latest software update for the galaxy s3 mini.
It said you can update to the 5.0 lollipop, but the mini s3 cannot be updated any further because of limited storage .
However I use to have a s5 and it was updated to the 6.0 software and it has the same amount of storage as your s3 mini.
Be very careful you don't update and exceed your free storage, you could brick out your phone.
Hope that helps.
Lindsay

— modified on Sep 25, 2018, 11:22:48 PM

Helpful?
Eightysevens
Eightysevens

Sep 26, 2018, 12:09:37 AM via Website

That's great Lindsay, thanks so much for your time in searching. Via your link I have found two methods of changing to the Lollipop 5 OS, though the last time I checked my fone wasn't recognised via usb, so I may need to troubleshoot that. The firmware method seems to be the easiest of the two, but apparently needs an app bundle from ggl play installed after the OS. Am I correct in assuming this is not essential? Since ggl play won't let me download anything, stating that my device is not registered, but would never let me register. Anyway, I don't want any ggl stuff on my device. I hope the firmware works without the ggl app bundle.

Also, would it be prudent to back-up the information on the fone? How is this done?

Thanks.

Helpful?
Deactivated Account

Sep 26, 2018, 1:46:47 AM via Website

You shouldn't need to back up anything to update your software!
The app bundle may have systems apps that are nessary to the new software!
I would check into that!
Bye the way, did you check your available free storage to make sure you have enough to accommodate the the software update?
Remember, you need some free storage
After the update to do anything with your phone.

Helpful?
Eightysevens
Eightysevens

Sep 27, 2018, 8:20:17 PM via Website

I'm not sure I will be able to update to lollipop 5.0, even though it is compatible, since it apparently takes up 5.6gb of space. Does that seem a lot? Jelly Bean 4.1.2 appears to take up only 5.5mb! But then surely that seems way too little. I have only 5gb of storage in the device.

I have installed & am working through the processes available from KingRoot & Purify. KingRoot states that my device cannot be rooted. But by using purify I have been able to remove much bloatware, optimise battery state & usage & control what apps are running in the background, etc.

Helpful?
Eightysevens

Sep 27, 2018, 9:29:58 PM via Website

After a successful root check it turns out I have root access afterall. I don't know exactly what this opens up for me, but apparently there are a host of apps that otherwise would not be available to me. Do you recommend a mobile site I could explore for these? Ggl play doesn't work for me (thankfully), I usually use APK Pure, though there are many apps on there masquerading as their legitimate counterparts.

Many thanks.

Helpful?
Deactivated Account

Sep 27, 2018, 11:19:02 PM via Website

Make sure you back up all your apps on a external hard drive before you root.
Then if removing a app causes problems you can always re-install that app.
As far as which apps you can remove.
Well you can't remove any of your systems apps!
Write down the name of the app your thinking of removing, and do a web search to find out what the app is for!
Then you will have to decide weather or not to remove it.

Helpful?
Deactivated Account

Sep 27, 2018, 11:44:18 PM via Website

One more thing!
When you disable any app that you don't need remember to uninstall any updates that app has received! This will also free up more storage! And don't forget to delete your cashed data also!

Helpful?
Eightysevens