How can I connect Chromebook to the internet with a USB Modem?

• Replies:1
GoogledElephant
  • Forum posts: 1

Jan 20, 2019, 3:59:32 AM via Website

Main question: The Chromebook is definitely recognizing the dongle as an internet device because an "Ethernet" option becomes available in the Network settings as soon as I plug in the USB, and when I take it out it disappears. It seems that the Chromebook is only having a problem configuring the proper settings, but if I know which settings to change seems like it should be able to work. [Inspiron Chromebook 11I 3000 (3181)]

Additional details: When I connect the dongle an "Ethernet" option comes up with many options available that I'm not familiar with. I called Sprint but they are not familiar with this. I did see the article about PPP authentication but unsure how to proceed.

This is what happens when I connect the dongle to the Chromebook. A "Ethernet" option comes up. (I wanted to insert screenshots but since I'm a new user here it's not allowing).

Then if I click the "Configure" box option as seen here: link removed, this pop-up opens: link removed

Depending which EAP method I choose as seen here: link removed, the following options are available: link removed.

I did see that OTG cables are able to connect USB dongles to smartphones but the Chromebook doesn't have the mini usb ports. Perhaps there's a way to use an OTG cable with a Chromebook?

Another thing to consider here: link removed.

If I switch off "Configure IP address automatically", the status then said "Connected" and it was green, it has some IP address info, but still was not able to connect to the internet.

Came across a "PPP authentication" article from Google, link removed is anyone familiar with this?

Jimmy_Wick
  • Forum posts: 35

Aug 10, 2022, 6:44:21 AM via Website

If you haven't yet, sign in to your Chromebook. Insert the dongle into one of the USB ports. Wait for the dongle to start up, then connect to the network.

Regards,
J Wick

Helpful?