My First Post

• Replies:10
WhatsThatDay
  • Forum posts: 5

Mar 12, 2019, 8:25:13 PM via Website

Actually, this my first for almost everything.

• First time here and first Post
  • First time JAVA (prior C#)
  • First time programming on mobile device
  • First release was yesterday with first and only Download
  • First realization that the journey is just starting - LOL

The last first is an eye-opener because I've been drudging through several months of programming thinking once I complete and upload my first app that I could sit back and take it easy while my customer base increased steadily each day. It was a shock know that I can search with any 'search term' even my program title and the app doesn't appear anywhere.

After, a few minutes of self-reflection I decided to search the Internet for help and come across this forum a few minutes ago.

So that's my story and this is my first application, 'What's that Day?".

Sorry, I had to delete the link to the App Store because this is my first post. :)

The App is based on my ability to recite the 'Day of Week' for any date within seconds. It's true that only around one in a million people can do this but it's actually just a simple math calculation. Month (value) + Day (value) + Year (value) = Day of Week

For example:

May 6, 2017 was on a Saturday

The value of May is always a 0
The value of 2017 is always a 0

May (0) + 6 + 2017 (0) = 6
Saturday is the 6th day of the week.

Also, I must acknowledge that as I age (59 years old), I can only calculate the DOW for the last ten years or so. However, I like to keep up the practice just to keep my brain active.

Lastly, my wife tells me that the reason that only one in a million can perform this trick within their head is because 'Only one of a million people would even want too'. LOL but maybe she is right.

If you have a moment, please provide your feedback and suggestions on the application.

In the meantime, it's time for me to start poke around, read some posts, and learn.

Steve

https://whatsthatday.com/

— modified on Mar 14, 2019, 6:29:47 AM by moderator

Sorin

Deactivated Account
  • Forum posts: 819

Mar 12, 2019, 9:55:54 PM via Website

Steve
Welcome to the Android pit!
Tell your wife I like her sense of humor!
😁😁😁😁

SorinDeactivated Account

WhatsThatDay

Mar 12, 2019, 10:16:05 PM via Website

Thank you, but I don't think she is joking. :)

We will be at a dinner, friends house or talking to a stranger. If they mention a date ... I will usually respond with something like "That's wonderful that your daughter's birthday was on a Saturday". It actually stuns people and I love the reaction but will never let on to the trick.

Old age (kinda at 59) welcomes a little fun.

Thank you for replying.

SorinDeactivated Account

Deactivated Account

Mar 12, 2019, 10:28:38 PM via Website

Went on play store and looked up your app. Tried to access your website through Play Store and it would not allow me access unless I gave permission to access my contacts??
So I went to the internet and tried to find your website! And the privacy policy.
No success!
Any idea why play store wants access to my contacts just to take me to your website?

— modified on Mar 12, 2019, 10:29:38 PM

Sorin

WhatsThatDay

Mar 12, 2019, 10:35:42 PM via Website

Lindsay mcdaniel

Went on play store and looked up your app. Tried to access your website through Play Store and it would not allow me access unless I gave permission to access my contacts??
So I went to the internet and tried to find your website! And the privacy policy.
No success!
Any idea why play store wants access to my contacts just to take me to your website?

100% positive that it has nothing to do with my app. I have 0 ads and 0 permissions of any kind. I have a domain WhatsThatDay with a dot and with a com but will need to update it first to include the link to my app.

I've been busy programming and have but no effort into my site. I will update it with a link but please give me 10 minutes.

EDIT:
I learned more about the privacy information provided by Google Play. When, you clicked on my Internet Home Page it was directed to a my Word Press page which I haven't setup yet including accepting it privacy policy. I completed a 10 rapid setup with my link to Play Store to correct this. Thanks for bringing this to my attention. - Steve

— modified on Mar 12, 2019, 11:11:42 PM

Sorin

WhatsThatDay

Mar 12, 2019, 11:03:59 PM via Website

Ok, I've set up a Wordpress Home Page ... as mentioned been busy programming and not on website design. :)

My homepage is at WhatsThatDay followed by a DOT and then by a COM

Thank you

Steve

— modified on Mar 12, 2019, 11:22:14 PM

Sorin

Deactivated Account
  • Forum posts: 499

Mar 13, 2019, 12:15:48 AM via Website

Hi Steve, Welcome to Androidpit
It is google and the ad company that requires the contacts. This is the case in most apps the ad companies and google are the ones that want your info. The app maker just wants the income from the hits the site gets.

— modified on Mar 13, 2019, 12:18:49 AM

Sorin

Deactivated Account

Mar 13, 2019, 12:53:55 AM via Website

Steve
Found your website.
It wouldn't open ! Said something like it was still being configured.
I'll try again at a later date.
Thanks for sending me the correct address!

Sorin

WhatsThatDay

Mar 13, 2019, 4:49:18 PM via Website

Good Morning!

The website is working now with the first post having a link to the mobile app. Also, I started a round of tutorials and reference data to asset the user.

WhatsThatDay followed by DOT and then by COM.

Does anyone know of a site where a new app developer and get feedback on their application? ugh ... I would rather be programming than Marketing :-)

Sorin

Deactivated Account

Mar 13, 2019, 10:04:24 PM via Website

Yea! You can get feedback on play store.
Every app there is a list of users reviews.
Yesterday when I looked up your app there was already one review there!

Sorin

Barbara Windsor
  • Forum posts: 68

Mar 27, 2019, 3:49:48 AM via Website

Welcome to Androidpit~

Sorin