Failed to restore chat data to new phone. What's up?

• Replies:11
  • Answered
masterton
  • Forum posts: 28

Mar 17, 2019, 2:33:36 AM via Website

I help a friend to transfer chat data to new phone.
I copied the GBWhatsapp folder to the PC. Then connected the new phone to the PC.
I clicked on the "internal storage" drive. Then pasted the GBWhatsapp folder.

I installed the app. Opened it. Clicked on restore.
Error message: Can't find any backup in 'sdcard/GBWhatsapp'.

I inserted an sd card to the new phone. Then connected to the PC.
I clicked on the "sd card" drive. Then pasted the GBWhatsapp folder.
The same error message popped up.

What's up? Why didn't the app find any backup?
Please help. Thank you.

Best answer
masterton

Mar 17, 2019, 11:40:18 PM via Website

Thank you for everyone who tried to help. I finally made it. I'm not certain the necessary steps involved. I list everything that I tried.

1. Uninstalled and reinstalled the app. Do NOT open it. If GBWhatsapp folder is created, rename it to some other name. Copy your backup folder of GBWhatsapp to the main directory of Internal Storage.
  2. Open GBWhatsapp. Then open a file browser app. Check to see if it changes the name of your backup folder (just in case if it did. You undo it).
  3. Copy your backup folder of GBWhatsapp to the main directory of SD card too. (might be unnecessary).
  4. I turned on all permissions of the app, instead of some.
  5. I went straight to verify the number without pressing "restore" or "copy whatsapp data".
  6. After verifying, the app detected the backup and asked me to restore. That's it.

What a headache to help a friend (whew). It took me many hours. He owes me a good dinner. Haha... :D

— modified on Mar 17, 2019, 11:51:05 PM

Helpful?
Vikas Singh, Frank Corpuz and 1 more Vikas SinghFrank CorpuzDeactivated Account
James Watson
  • Forum posts: 1,584

Mar 17, 2019, 4:32:35 AM via Website

I think you should perform backup from some menu item of that app other than copying and pasting the GBWhatsapp folder.

Download size < 0.15 MB. But also accurate enough, ad-free & free.
The minimalist app available on Play Store: https://goo.gl/ws42fN
Blog: https://okblackcafe.blogspot.com Your 5-star is appreciated.

Helpful?
masterton

Mar 17, 2019, 9:14:58 AM via Website

How? The process is the same as Whatsapp.
You need the database files from the GBWhatsapp folder. Then start the app. Press restore / copy Whatsapp data. Strangely it failed to find any backup. :/

Helpful?
Deactivated Account
  • Forum posts: 819

Mar 17, 2019, 10:48:43 AM via Website

There are 2 possible reasons for this problem.
First, Facebook is trying to integrate WhatsApp and Instagram into thier apps,
And there has been one little problem after another with WhatsApp because of it. This could be just another one of those glitches.
Second, you called the app GBWhatsapp.
If this is not the official WhatsApp program and it is one of the knock off WhatsApp apps
I read in the tech news that Facebook is starting to block them, because there not the official app.
That could be why you can't find the backup!

Helpful?
Deactivated Account

Mar 17, 2019, 11:55:29 AM via Website

Another possible reason why you can't find the backup.
On March 13th. Facebook WhatsApp and Instagram all went down (off line). Because of a "BUG" in thier server!
This affected many of WhatsApp features!
All are back up and running, However Facebook is still picking up the pieces and trying to fully restore the WhatsApp functions!
This information came from a tech. news article I read on Sunday morning.

Helpful?
masterton

Mar 17, 2019, 12:24:34 PM via Website

Lindsay mcdaniel

Another possible reason why you can't find the backup.
On March 13th. Facebook WhatsApp and Instagram all went down (off line). Because of a "BUG" in thier server!
This affected many of WhatsApp features!
All are back up and running, However Facebook is still picking up the pieces and trying to fully restore the WhatsApp functions!
This information came from a tech. news article I read on Sunday morning.

Thank you, but ours are local backups. Will this still be affected?

Helpful?
Deactivated Account

Mar 17, 2019, 12:50:58 PM via Website

Yes! If your local backup retrieves it's data from WhatsApps computer!

And remember what I said about WhatsApp clamping down on the unauthorized apps, because I strongly believe that the GBWhatsapp is one of them!

Helpful?
masterton

Mar 17, 2019, 7:26:06 PM via Website

Lindsay mcdaniel

Yes! If your local backup retrieves it's data from WhatsApps computer!

And remember what I said about WhatsApp clamping down on the unauthorized apps, because I strongly believe that the GBWhatsapp is one of them!

What do you mean by "Whatsapp computer"?

I simply transferred the chat databases from the old phone to my PC. Then my PC to the new phone.

Helpful?
Deactivated Account
  • Forum posts: 770

Mar 17, 2019, 7:50:35 PM via Website

Whatsapp is available for Windows pc and mac
https://www.whatsapp.com/download/

Sometimes the GB version breaks the restore process.

Rename GBWhatsapp to Whatsapp and install official version from play store. See whether this works,then try the restore.

Never use the Modded version. After WhatsApp get integrated with Facebook and still if you use modded version both your Facebook and Whatsapp will get banned. Whatsapp is getting more secure.

Ready To Help You.

Helpful?
James Watson
Deactivated Account

Mar 17, 2019, 8:30:01 PM via Website

Masterton
What I ment by WhatsApp computer is;
The backup you are trying to retrieve initially came through WhatsApps server didn't it. And that server was inflected by a virus.
So wouldn't it be a logical assumption that the backup you are trying to recover MIGHT have been infected also?
If that was my phone I would have a very good anti-virus app installed in it before I retrieve that backup!

Helpful?
Best answer
masterton

Mar 17, 2019, 11:40:18 PM via Website

Thank you for everyone who tried to help. I finally made it. I'm not certain the necessary steps involved. I list everything that I tried.

1. Uninstalled and reinstalled the app. Do NOT open it. If GBWhatsapp folder is created, rename it to some other name. Copy your backup folder of GBWhatsapp to the main directory of Internal Storage.
  2. Open GBWhatsapp. Then open a file browser app. Check to see if it changes the name of your backup folder (just in case if it did. You undo it).
  3. Copy your backup folder of GBWhatsapp to the main directory of SD card too. (might be unnecessary).
  5. I went straight to verify the number without pressing "restore" or "copy whatsapp data".
  6. After verifying, the app detected the backup and asked me to restore. That's it.

What a headache to help a friend (whew). It took me many hours. He owes me a good dinner. Haha... :D

— modified on Mar 17, 2019, 11:51:05 PM

Helpful?
Vikas Singh, Frank Corpuz and 1 more Vikas SinghFrank CorpuzDeactivated Account
Vikas Singh
  • Forum posts: 1

Aug 22, 2020, 8:40:18 AM via Website

masterton

Thanks- found this solution working after having wasted so much time. Thanks again!!

— modified on Aug 22, 2020, 8:41:01 AM

Helpful?