How to turn "Unknown Sources" on Android phones

• Replies:11
katie
  • Forum posts: 7

Dec 21, 2019, 3:52:23 AM via Website

Besides the official store Google Play on your phone, I'm sure that sometimes you need to sideload other applications from outside sources. For example, to download apps isn't available on Google Play or geo-restricted apps, etc. As you may know, Android OS is an open-source that enables its users to access third-party app installations, provided that you activate the security settings "Unknown Sources" on your Android phone. Some Android users may find it a bit confused about how to enable this function since it's quite different between Android Oreo and Android nougat. More importantly, you also keep in mind that opting for a safe and reliable source before sideloading apps is a must to avoid the risk of getting attacked by malware and viruses from untrustworthy sites. So here are the steps to grant third-party permissions:

If you have a phone running Android 7.0 Nougat or lower, enable Unknown Sources is much easier since all you need to do is navigate to Settings>tap Security> click the Unknown sources, switch to turn on or off. Plus, you only need to enable "Unknown Sources" once for allowing every external app's installation.

If you're using Android 8.0 Oreo or higher device, you can't find the allowance for third-party installations from Unknown Sources on the settings anymore because the tougher permission is tied to the app itself, not any users settings. To turn Unknown Sources on, here are the steps:
1. Open the device Settings
2. Then, tap on Apps and Notifications
3. Select Advanced>scroll down and find Special App Access> tap Install Unknown Apps.
4. Choose the app that you want to enable> Switch on "Allow from this source".

Hope this helps. (lightbulb)

— modified on Dec 21, 2019, 3:53:26 AM

marco sarli
  • Admin
  • Forum posts: 1,011

Dec 23, 2019, 2:03:37 AM via Website

love it. You ask the questions and give the answer.

Helpful?
Claire York
James Watson
  • Forum posts: 1,583

Dec 23, 2019, 4:25:48 AM via Website

A comprehensive and detailed article. (smug)

Download size < 0.15 MB. But also accurate enough, ad-free & free.
The minimalist app available on Play Store: https://goo.gl/ws42fN
Blog: https://okblackcafe.blogspot.com Your 5-star is appreciated.

Helpful?
hodang
  • Forum posts: 11

Dec 23, 2019, 5:06:13 AM via Website

Thanks a lot. Finally I know the reason why I can't enable Unknown Source because now I'm using Android Oreo and it doesn't show in the security settings when I search. Really have no idea that Google has removed this option in Android Oreo phone.

Helpful?
Verus
  • Forum posts: 63

Dec 23, 2019, 5:42:27 AM via Website

Thanks for sharing such useful information! (hug)

Helpful?
Roy124
  • Forum posts: 7

Dec 23, 2019, 1:06:33 PM via Website

Thank you so much for this thread!

Helpful?
Claire York
kar23
  • Forum posts: 1

Jul 2, 2020, 3:54:02 PM via Website

when i went on intsall unknow apps it says that i have no apps plz tell me what to do plz.

Helpful?
Stewart
  • Forum posts: 11

Aug 13, 2020, 8:21:04 AM via Website

Thanks for sharing this info, very useful.

Helpful?
Claire York
  • Forum posts: 2

Aug 17, 2020, 11:24:57 AM via Website

Google Play Protection helps keep your device secure by:

pre-checks all applications that you download in the Play Store;
scans your device for potentially dangerous third-party applications (malware);
warns you about threats and removes known dangerous applications from the device;
informs you about applications that hide or distort important information, thereby violating the Unwanted Software Policy.

Helpful?
marco sarli
Frederick Alliston
  • Forum posts: 21

Aug 20, 2020, 12:23:33 PM via Website

Google Play store is official on Android phone and users download the apps from the same. However, certain apps are not available on the Google play store or there are some geo-restricted apps. To download them, you have to access the third party installation.

For the same, you have to activate the security settings on your Android Phone. However, be extremely cautious when you aim to download such apps from unknown resources because the same may cause virus attack on your mobile phone.

You should follow the below-mentioned steps to allow unknown sources on your Android phone:-

1. Go to the settings section and then security.
  2. Check the option of “Unknown sources”.
  3. You will get a prompt message, click OK on the same.
  4. Choose the option of “Trust”.
  5. Now you should be able to download the app from other sources as
    well and this setting should be saved in your mobile phone.
  6. Do not worry; you will still be protected by the Google Play Store
    as it will continue to look for suspicious malware, Trojans and
    Viruses.
    Hope these tips are helpful.
Helpful?
TedyBo
martin smith
  • Forum posts: 277

Aug 20, 2020, 5:50:22 PM via Website

Great Article Thanks for sharing Informative post.

Helpful?
TedyBo
  • Forum posts: 24

Feb 18, 2021, 8:56:48 PM via Website

it was helpful:) like

Helpful?