You may have heard that the Galaxy S5 just got a minor update, with improvements to the camera, gallery and fingerprint scanner, according to Sam Mobile. Despite having an OK time with the fingerprint scanner personally, in my video test of the Galaxy S5 finger scanner it didn't work so well, so an improvement is welcome. Add to this a faster loading camera app to match that insane auto-focus speed and it's a nice way to start the week. Here's how to get it yourself if you don't want to wait for the OTA to arrive.
Please note: Flashing this firmware on your device is done at your own risk and neither AndroidPIT nor I will assume any responsibility for any damage done. Having said that, this is official Samsung firmware and flashing this update will not void your warranty or increase your binary flash counter. Please back up your data before proceeding. This is the United Kingdom firmware for the Samsung Galaxy S5 (SM-G900F) but it will work on any unbranded international model Galaxy S5. It has a build number of G900FXXU1ANE2.
Install latest Android 4.4.2 firmware on Samsung Galaxy S5 G900F
1. Download the firmware here: Android 4.4.2 firmware Samsung SM-G900F.
2. Unzip the zip file.
3. Download Odin 3.09, and unpack the .zip also.
4. Launch Odin.
5. Reboot your Galaxy S5 in download mode (Volume Down + Power + Home button). Once you see the warning screen, press Volume Up.
6. Connect your Galaxy S5 via USB cable to your computer and wait for Odin to recognize it. A blue box will pop up in the ID:COM field.
7. Click the AP box and locate the tar.md5 file in the downloaded firmware.
8. Make sure that the re-partition box is not checked.
9. Click Start and wait a few minutes until the procedure ends. Do not disconnect your S5, be patient.
10. You will see a Reset notification in Odin when the download has finished. Once your Galaxy S5 restarts and you see the Pass notification in Odin, it's over!
As usual, if you have any concerns at startup, perform a wipe data/factory reset in recovery mode (Volume Up + Power + Home button).
Have you flashed the new firmware yet? What are your thoughts on the improvements?
Source: Sam Mobile