Slow data speeds are something everybody wants to improve – no one enjoys staring at the rotating wheel of a loading video, but we seem to do it frustratingly often. Help is at hand thanks to hack discovered by XDA forums member bahathir. Keep reading to find out how you can speed up your 3G speeds and improve your internet connection.
Warning: Though the procedures we describe here have been checked to ensure your device's safety, any operation that involves rooting a device can potentially cause problems. AndroidPIT.com is not responsible for any damage that may be inadvertently caused to your device. Please back up all of your Android data before proceeding.
What does speeding up my 3G data involve?
To optimize your connection, you will need to modify the file containing the internet configuration settings that are used by your device upon connection. In doing so, you can enable what is known as 'Van Jacobson TCP / IP header compression', which will essentially increase your 3G speed.
Users have reported speeds up to double what they previously had, but the effectiveness of the hack is dependent on whether or not your carrier supports the feature.
What do I need to speed up my 3G?
- Root permission: learn how to root your device without voiding the warranty.
- Options.7z archive: the folder thatcontains the amended version of the file already in your system folder, which needs to be replaced for this to work.
- ES File Explorer (or equivalent): a file manager compatible with root to allow you to enter the system folders and change file permissions.
How do I speed up my 3G data?
- Download the archive options.7z and extract it with an archive manager like 7Zip. You will find a file named Options.
- Copy the Options file onto your device in a memorable location by connecting it to your PC or using the SD card, if available.
- Install and open ES File Manager (or equivalent) and give it root permissions (Menu > Root Explorer > ON > Confirm).
- Now find the options file from within the ES File Manage (press and hold and select Copy), which was previously transferred onto the device.
- Go into the folder: (Device) "/ system / etc / ppp" and paste the Options file, which you just copied, into it.
- Change the permissions of the Options file, (tap and hold on it: More > Properties> Edit (Permissions) > then activate the three permissions under Readable (owner, group, other), deactivate the three under Writing, and activate the three under Execute. Now press OK. Next to Permissions you should now find writing like "r-x r-x r-x."
- Reboot the device.
That's it. if you want to check your increase in speed immediately, just install the app Speedtest.net and run some tests. Depending on the current online traffic and the server to which you are connected, the test will give different results – try it a few times to get an average.Speedtest.net
Problems with speeding up my 3G
If you experience any problems connecting to 3G or find that there is no improvement, you can reverse the procedure by deleting the options file you copied earlier in the folder "/ system / etc / ppp".
What else can I do make my 3G data faster?
The other solution to speeding up your 3G data is to change your carrier. It's a drastic measure, and you may be locked into a contract, but do some research and you will find that there are big differences between each carrier's network speeds.
Let us know in the comments below if this process works for you.