According to an update page on the Archos site, the Archos 28/32/43/70/101 Internet Tablets have started receiving an update to Android 2.2 since yesterday. The update, in addition to the (as of now) latest version of Android, brings with it several interesting new features and improvements.
Below is the list of improvements that come with the new firmware version (2.0.54):
- Higher performance: just in time compiler (JIT) technology makes applications run up to 5 times faster than previous Android "Eclair" 2.1 firmwares
- Enhanced Microsoft Exchange support: it is now possible to synchronize contacts and calendar events
- Allow to install more 3rd party applications by installing them on the storage memory (for applications that supports it)
- Video: movie information and cover retrieval in video file info dialog
- Multiple selection mode is now always enabled in the file manager
- External bluetooth GPS receivers are now supported
- Better assistance is provided in the tethering wizard to pair with cell phone using bluetooth DUN profile (smart APN detection)
- OpenVPN is now supported
- Slideshow support for network shares has been added to Gallery and Photoframe applications
- Photoframe: full screen picture can now be displayed on double tap when in floating image mode
- Manual white balance setting has been added in Camera application
- Faster USB write transfer
- Battery: more accurate battery charge estimation
- Audio: improved compatibility with android audio stream volume management (voice/music/ringtone etc.)
- Orientation: fixed compatibility issue with some applications working with inverted accelerometer axis
All in all, it looks to be a really solid update for the device, especially the improvements to battery life indication, Microsoft Exchange, and faster USB wire transfer.
If you have an Archos tablet that is eligible for the update, let us know how you enjoy the new changes in the comments or forums.
Image from TalkAndroid