It is March 31st (with April first just around the corner) and Android 2.1 for Droid users is here, finally! OTA may take a while to get to every individual user, but some folks over at AllDroid claim to have brohen the story and managed to get the downlad link posted and AndroidCentral put together a good step-by-step process to get your Droid running 2.1 (at your own risk.) Can't wait for OTA? Read on.
Here is AndroidCentral's step-by-step instructions (at your own risk):
1. Download the update from any of these links. [Location 1 | Location 2 | Location 3 | Location 4] (Note to Mac users: Don't use Safari as it may try to extract the files rather than just download them.)
2. Rename the file to "update.zip" if it isn't already. (Note that if you're using Windows, just change the name to "update" -- without the quotes.
3. Put the file in the root (aka main folder) of your microSD card. (You can pull the card from the phone, or use our method here.)
4. With your Droid turned off, hold down the letter "x" on the keyboard and then hold down the power button. You should soon see a triangle with an exclamation point inside.
5. Now for the tricky part. Press the volume up button and the camera button at the same time. (This usually takes me a few tries.)
6. You should now be in the bootloader. Use the D-pad to choose "update from .zip file" and choose the update. Let things run their course.
It has been quite a journey with all these announcements and delays, but I am hoping that we have finally seen the last of this. Any of you with a Droid/Milestone that are willing to try this out (or already have it), let me know how it is for you.
For those of you that will wait for the OTA update, AndroidandMe wrote up the rollout schedule here:
- At noon on 03/30, 1,000 users will receive notification of the update.
- At 11:59 PM on 03/30, 9,000 more users will receive the update notification.
- After the first 10,000 users receive the update on 03/30, there will be a 24-hour period when no additional upgrades will be delivered.
- On Day 3 (04/01), 200,000 users will receive the update notification at 11:59 PM. This schedule will continue each day thereafter until the update has been delivered to all users.
Image from Engadget