Just Starting Out: Building App for a Podcast

• Replies:0
Embol
  • Forum posts: 1

Mar 10, 2013, 5:09:01 PM via Website

I'm usually personally against new users posting requests and stuff like that on forums, but I'm at the end of my rope with this situation, so just know that I wouldn't ask for help if I didn't absolutely need it from people much, much more proficient in such affairs. Anyway, here's the scoop:

I've been producing a weekly podcast for almost two years now, and it's been a long-standing goal to develop a mobile platform for the show. I've got an RSS feed all figured out, so basically everything already exists in a form that should be easy to pull data from and doesn't require a weekly update each time I add content to the website making it user friendly and a way to get advertisement out there for the podcast as I can just make a QR code that links to the application in the Google Play store rather than having some obsolete URL or some other nonsense that someone could lose before they get to an access point for the content.

The issue, though, is that I'm having difficulties finding a simple, basic English tutorial or guide on how to integrate an XML parser into an Android App that I can understand. But that may be more due to my lack of knowledge with Java coding past rudimentary JavaScript than anything else. I've been told to use PhoneGap, but the website is also very rudimentary with minimal JavaScript supplementing basic HTML, so I'm not entirely sure if, without a PHP backbone if it will work properly with PhoneGap, or, if like everything else involved in this process, it's a case of being mostly unlearned and misunderstanding something simple.

Now, I'm not looking to do anything incredibly advanced at this point, just a simple layout that reflects the minimalist aesthetic I have going on for the website in an easy to use mobile application that will be updated each time I add more information to either the main RSS feed or some secondary one made solely for the App without any end-user intervention. I'd also be more than happy to listen to suggestions to make development easier or more simple to understand.

Thanks for reading!