How To Delete a Whatsapp Contact

• Replies:26
  • OpenStickiedUnanswered
Georg Seebode
  • Admin
  • Staff
  • Forum posts: 146

Jul 4, 2013 3:58:18 PM via Website

Ive seen quite a few people asking how to delete a contact in WhatsApp - and at first glance it seems like it isnt that easy...

So if you want to delete a WhatsApp Contact follow these steps:

The contacts that you have in WhatsApp are directly loaded from the contacts in your phones address book - there is no way to directly delete them from within WhatsApp.

To delete a contact from the WhatsApp contact list, you will need to delete the contact from your phone's address book.

In order to find the WhatsApp contact in your phone's address book:

Find the contact in the Select contact page.
Tap on the contact.
Then tap on the name at the top.
On the Contact info page, go to [Menu button] > [View in address book].
From there you can find the option to delete the contact from your address book.
Then, refresh your WhatsApp contact list by opening WhatsApp > > [Menu button] > [Refresh]

If you still see the contact, it is likely that you are seeing the conversation on your Chats screen. Simply tap and hold on the contact and then select [Delete chat] to delete a chat.

And thats it!

If you have any other WhatsApp related issues have a look here -> Help! I have a problem with WhatsApp! Here are the solutions!
  • Forum posts: 9

Jul 9, 2013 8:04:30 AM via Website

It's a great help, many whatsapp users didn't know how to remove the contacts from the application. thanks for the information...:)
  • Forum posts: 12

Jul 9, 2013 8:52:04 AM via App

What if I want that person in my contact list but not in my whatsapp, so that i can ignore his calls? yes I do such kinda things!

I simply block them on Whatsapp if they are visible and they cant communicate with me and I can always unblock them.
Deactivated Account
  • Forum posts: 72

Sep 24, 2013 1:38:56 PM via Website

Ahhh, that's fine but what if we just want to delete it from whatsapp contact list not from the address book itself.
  • Forum posts: 1

Feb 19, 2014 2:56:23 PM via Website

I have already deleted a contact from my address book... but still I can see that contact in whatsapp ..

How can I remove then ??
  • Forum posts: 13

Mar 21, 2014 1:18:45 PM via Website

Thanks for such a great information. Most of whatsapp users had never explored such thing.
  • Forum posts: 12

Jun 8, 2014 11:50:05 AM via Website

I agree, this helped me too! My girlfriend had a similar issue

• Forum posts: 14

Aug 21, 2014 2:49:17 PM via Website

@santhosh sandy - on whatsapp you need to delete the chat thread, and then they'll be gone :)

— modified on Aug 21, 2014 2:49:37 PM

• Forum posts: 17

Oct 11, 2014 6:33:10 PM via Website

WhatsApp needs more improvement.

Oct 28, 2014 10:43:44 PM via Website

Even I had the same problem.. I tried deleting from Google account..this might help. If u still going through the same problem, download the app " Sim card manager " from play store and delete that contact from your Sim. Then go to your WhatsApp and refresh contact list. Definitely your problem will be solved .

Feb 22, 2015 3:44:05 AM via Website

Yeah on the simple way to [delete whatsapp account][1].. I was searching for it and i found it here

• Forum posts: 22

May 19, 2015 3:22:31 AM via Website

agree, thanks for your sharing

• Forum posts: 2

Aug 25, 2015 3:45:25 AM via Website

Hey, this is because in some cases contacts aren't deleted but just hidden. You can use any of the apps that let you manage directly the contacts database and delete even those hidden contacts. For example look for MiniContacts app at the store app.

• Forum posts: 644

Oct 20, 2015 11:37:34 AM via Website

Thanks for sharing. seriously in need of such help:D(music)
If i block someone on whatsApp, that person can see my profile? status?

Looking for security app? Try Leo Privacy Guard 3.0.

Join Our Christmas Contest by visiting our Facebook page "LEO Privacy Guard"

• Forum posts: 27

Nov 14, 2015 12:19:11 PM via Website

Really helpful, good to know.

• Forum posts: 644

Nov 24, 2015 2:51:47 PM via Website

Your post is helpful but sometimes I see the contact but I cannot send message on that, when I click it it automatically transfer me to messaging.

Looking for security app? Try Leo Privacy Guard 3.0.

Join Our Christmas Contest by visiting our Facebook page "LEO Privacy Guard"

• Forum posts: 7

Nov 27, 2015 8:10:50 AM via Website

Thanks for Sharing this thread about deleting whatsapp Contact, As i Am in need of this