Android 4.4 KitKat Speculations

• Replies:32
  • ClosedNot stickiedUnanswered
  • Forum posts: 1,338

Sep 4, 2013 11:58:50 AM via Website

Google has announced the next iteration of the Android OS - 4.4 KitKat. While everyone has been calling it Key Lime Pie forever, and expecting it to be Android 5.0, Google released a video of the new designation yesterday, also perhaps unveiling the LG-made Nexus 5 in the process. Those forum threads are here and here.

— modified on Nov 1, 2013 3:16:27 PM by moderator

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

• Forum posts: 145

Sep 4, 2013 6:16:42 PM via Website

I love it! We were so wrong about key lime pie :) I've been craving a kit-kat all morning, thanks to the announcement. What's the pic?

HowDoYouAndroid.com

• Forum posts: 4

Sep 7, 2013 8:36:40 AM via Website

Many people thought it was a joke. None of the operating systems needed to worry about copyright infringement as the past OS` were generic desert names. Anyway I'm all about new things, so bring it on.
  • Forum posts: 5

Sep 8, 2013 7:03:25 PM via Website

Given the popularity of Android it's a wise move on the part of Nestle to allow use of the trademarked name, it was already very popular, now it will be the most popular candy bar in the world! Free advertising from the biggest advertising agency in the world..
  • Forum posts: 48

Sep 9, 2013 10:20:48 AM via Website

Interseting information about 4.4 Kitkat and Nexus 5.

Sep 9, 2013 10:35:06 AM via Website

So the big question is: what exactly will KitKat play host to? If it's not going to be the major new overhaul that we all expected of Key Lime Pie (5.0), and it looks like it won't be because this update is still within the 4th iteration of the OS. So if 4.3 wasn't much of an improvement, other than to security, performance etc, then what will we most likely see from 4.4? I think the start of the fragmentation issue will begin being addressed, with 4.4 to roll out to as many devices as possible in anticipation of 5.0. I'd also expect a lot more voice activation/gesture control features in anticipation of the rise of wearable technology. But the fact there will be a 4.4 makes me think the changes will remain relatively minor and it won't be until 5.0 that our socks are blown off.

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

• Forum posts: 1

Sep 11, 2013 6:13:08 AM via App

question .. when will Android 4.3 be released OTA for the Galaxy S3 ?
  • Forum posts: 6

Sep 11, 2013 10:20:31 AM via App

hi farid, I heard sometime in October for the s3 and s4

Sep 12, 2013 10:21:04 AM via Website

Correct, Samsung Galaxy S3 and S4 will get the update OTA in October, but when exactly we don't yet know. The HTC One will get it September, ad we saw a few HTC One models at the IFA event last week that were already running the update. As for 4.4 there's no word on when that will be released, or even announced, but I would expect the Nexus 5 to appear in the next couple of months and be running 4.4 out of the box or via OTA very soon after release. As for the Note 2 on 4.3, the announcement has been made and it should happen not long after the S3 and S4 updates in October if not right alongside them.

Sep 20, 2013 3:40:07 PM via Website

Ok, chocolate fans. Android 4.4 KitKat has been 'confirmed' to release in October by the German Nestle KitKat team on their Facebook page. We already kind of knew this, but it's nice to have further confirmation from the inside. Now we just have to wait for Google to actually officially announce the next iteration of the world's most popular mobile operating system.

— modified on Sep 20, 2013 3:40:48 PM

Sep 23, 2013 5:56:09 PM via Website

Haha, yeah for sure! It had better! I think there'd be rioting in the streets if the Nexus 4 was left behind. It would, however, be a good way to push sales of the Nexus 5...at least to start with. But I can't imagine Google would leave the Nexus 4 out of the update goodness. At least not till Android 5.0 next year anyway.

Sep 24, 2013 11:57:39 AM via Website

I'm not sure about a release for Android 5.0, considering everyone thought what ended up being 4.4 would actually be 5.0! But at this stage, and with the rapid release of minor changes to Jelly Bean (which makes it seem like Google are keen to keep JB going for a while yet), I would say the next major iteration of the OS would ''most likely'' appear at Google I/O next year (that's in May), but this is just as much of a guess as what it will be called.

• Forum posts: 145

Sep 25, 2013 1:12:48 PM via Website

Yeah, that's what I was wondering... if they would delay, in order to try to make us buy the Nexus 5. Glad you don't think that's likely to be a big part of the plan!

HowDoYouAndroid.com

Sep 26, 2013 9:11:13 PM via App

Hey Kevin, no idea at all for 4.4 but the 4.3 update for the One is happening right now internationally. HTC is pretty good with updating so if this current update (2 months) is anything to go by it'll be a Christmas-time/early January-ish 4.4 update. Vague enough for you? ;)