Why are my contacts not showing in WhatsApp? (How to fix)

• Replies:10
  • OpenStickiedUnanswered
  • Forum posts: 1,077

Apr 8, 2014 4:27:28 PM via Website

Why are my contacts not showing in WhatsApp? (How to fix)

If your contact does not appear in the Select contact list, please try the following steps:

1. Make sure that you have your friend's phone number in your address book.
2. Make sure that your friend is using WhatsApp Messenger.
3. Make sure that you have the latest version of WhatsApp. If not, you can download the latest version of WhatsApp.
4. In your Android phone book, make sure that all contact accounts (i.e. SIM, Google, Phone) & contact groups (i.e. Friends, Family) are "visible" or "viewable".
5. It is recommended that you make your contacts "not visible" & then "visible" to force a refresh. After doing this launch WhatsApp -> Menu Button -> Refresh.

Alternatively, you can use all your contacts, not just the "visible" ones. To do this go to Menu Button > Settings > Contacts > Show all contacts.

• Forum posts: 11

Aug 10, 2014 1:59:37 AM via Website

Nice post I just want to add : If the above steps do not work ( and you have checked that the contact is using whatsapp and you have your contacts correct number) just switch of your phone and remove and re insert your sim and restart the device..!! :)

• Forum posts: 17

Oct 11, 2014 6:22:40 PM via Website

Really great tutorials. I saw a bunch of users across different forums had the same problem with this.

• Forum posts: 1

Jan 2, 2015 1:57:13 PM via Website

When I open WhatsApp and go to my Chats window (iPhone 5) one of my contacts photo refreshes (flicks on and off quickly).
This doesn't always happen and it only happens with the same contact.
Can someone tell me what that contact is doing (or has done) at the other end to make this happen?
Thanks, Martin

• Forum posts: 3

Jun 18, 2015 8:13:48 AM via Website

It's such a nice & amazing tutorial about WhatsApp contacts. Everything is perfect & well understand by this tutorial.

• Forum posts: 105

Jan 13, 2016 9:53:19 AM via Website

Perfect answer!(cool) Thanks for the IMAGE

• Forum posts: 15

Feb 2, 2016 12:24:27 PM via Website

You might have not given the permission to application to read your mobile's contact. So following are the steps to perform and mostly its common for all android device. Only a bit may differ.

security -> Permission -> Application -> Whatsapp -> Allow to read contacts

Apr 1, 2016 6:03:35 AM via Website

This is most annoying to be told to :

Android phone book, make sure that all contact accounts (i.e. SIM, Google, Phone) & contact groups (i.e. Friends, Family) are "visible" or "viewable".

There is NO "visible" or "viewable" setting that I can find in my android 6.0 contacts list. and I STILL cannot see my contact in WhatsApp. Can someone please help me?

Thanks
Steve
+1 650-691-3683

Sep 20, 2016 1:52:49 AM via Website

This just tells me what what what's app tells me to do with contacts. I still cant find all and there's no invisible/visible option. How do i find contacts in my note 5 when it won't find the name or number in my phone and ik that my friends have the app

• Forum posts: 73

Oct 10, 2016 12:16:02 PM via Website

I did it and got reinforcement my contacts effectively, much appreciated!

• Forum posts: 8

Oct 17, 2016 1:49:16 PM via Website

Really appreciable. Thanks for sharing