Unity3D for Game Development

• Replies:14
John Smith
  • Forum posts: 13

Sep 28, 2015, 9:43:45 PM via Website

Hi all! For anyone that is thinking of making games for Android and hasn't decided on which game engine to use, I would highly recommend Unity. As a full time student with a full time job, I was able to manage making two 3D Android games, with a third one currently in development that will add a new twist to Tower Defense games, all with minimal programming experience! Unity has great documentation and resources to get you jump started into development and publication on the Google Play Store.

With busy dedication towards a BSc in Computer Science and a minor in Game Design and Development, I was able to publish each game within 6-8 months. Publication would have taken much less time however if it wasn't for school and work, so don't be scared if you think it will take this long for you!

Link to Unity: unity3d.com

Some screenshots of my first game, Knock the Flags:

Link to game: play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.Sempiternal.KTF_Full&hl=en

Screenshots of second game, Ball Game 3D:

Link to game: play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.Sempiternal.Boundz&hl=en

These games are free to download right now for any Android device with 4.0+. If you have any questions about anything please feel free to ask! I also encourage feedback and suggestions as well! :D

— modified on Sep 28, 2015, 9:48:52 PM

efadafe
  • Forum posts: 15

Nov 2, 2015, 9:31:40 AM via Website

I have started with Unity and I regret. With older version I need plugins for everything. Now its little better because GUI is build in (finally). If I will have to start again today i will choose Unreal Engine.

John Smith

Nov 3, 2015, 6:56:00 AM via Website

efadafe

I have started with Unity and I regret. With older version I need plugins for everything. Now its little better because GUI is build in (finally). If I will have to start again today i will choose Unreal Engine.

I started using Unity around V4.3, so I never really experienced the need to have many plugins, although I heard about similar experiences with early Unity versions. I am currently stuck with V4.6 because some of my plugins are incompatible with Unity5. Also, I don't recommend GUI for mobile as it greatly hinders performance(because a GUI needs to check every second for an event).

With that being said, Unity is in great shape, especially for those beginning. I would say that even though the Unreal Engine is slightly more powerful than Unity, Unity is much easier to use and learn, especially for beginners or small studios.

Did you stop using Unity because of a development roadblock? If this is the case you can PM me and maybe I can try and help? :D

Michael Thompson
  • Forum posts: 3

Nov 10, 2015, 12:53:21 AM via Website

That is great feedback about Unity - thank you. Congrats on Knock the Flags :) Looks great.

Hub Stro

Nov 14, 2015, 10:11:03 AM via Website

Looks good.

Sam Micaly
  • Forum posts: 11

Nov 17, 2015, 4:43:00 PM via Website

Thank you for review! I will try it

Kar Diamond
  • Forum posts: 1

Nov 18, 2015, 5:39:53 PM via Website

What did you use with unity to make your graphics?

We are using 2d graphics right now with Unity 5, but I was wondering how to make 3d graphics?

Are you using blender?

John Smith

Nov 19, 2015, 1:38:27 AM via Website

Michael Thompson

That is great feedback about Unity - thank you. Congrats on Knock the Flags :) Looks great.

Thanks!!

John Smith

Nov 19, 2015, 1:38:46 AM via Website

Hub Stro

Looks good.

Thank you :)

John Smith

Nov 19, 2015, 1:39:19 AM via Website

Sam Micaly

Thank you for review! I will try it

No problem! Let me know if you have any questions about using Unity :D

John Smith

Nov 19, 2015, 1:40:08 AM via Website

fatiezhanghaoyer

Looks good, the picture is not very good

=========================================================
I recommend using apus launcher it is very

interesting.Boost、Faster、Small、speed booster

Thanks! I agree, the pictures came out a little blurry but the games definitely look more crisp on Android devices.

John Smith

Nov 19, 2015, 1:43:21 AM via Website

Kar Diamond

What did you use with unity to make your graphics?

We are using 2d graphics right now with Unity 5, but I was wondering how to make 3d graphics?

Are you using blender?

You are correct, I did use Blender to make the 3D assets. If I had the money however I would definitely go with Autodesk Maya. Blender is good for what it is but Maya is definitely the superior of the two.

dev ncow
  • Forum posts: 17

Dec 1, 2015, 10:52:36 AM via Website

Hello,

I recommend Unity3D as well. It is a great tool to develop games. I think it is easier than Java coding.

However, you have to learn a new platform. Read and watch a lot of tutorials on net to learn how it works. Very interesting game engine. You have to code in C#.
The only drawbacks I found is on the GUI system but with the new version (v5), it is better. So, my advice is to gie it a try ! :-)

Regards,

John Smith

Dec 1, 2015, 8:32:25 PM via Website

dev ncow

Hello,

I recommend Unity3D as well. It is a great tool to develop games. I think it is easier than Java coding.

However, you have to learn a new platform. Read and watch a lot of tutorials on net to learn how it works. Very interesting game engine. You have to code in C#.
The only drawbacks I found is on the GUI system but with the new version (v5), it is better. So, my advice is to gie it a try ! :-)

Regards,

Hey there!

Thanks for the feedback, I agree with everything you said except for one thing. You don't have to code in C# using Unity. Unity gives you three options, JavaScript, C#, and Unity's own language called Boo. You can use and combine each language within your game. For example, you can have a C# script that controls the player's movement, JavaScript code that controls the player's health, and a Boo script to control the player's camera perspective, or you can use just one language to handle everything. This is what I love about Unity the most, the fact that it gives you the ultimate control over your game's scripting.

I personally mostly use JavaScript, although I definitely have a couple C# scripts that access JavaScript classes and vice-versa.

AlexMsr
  • Forum posts: 27

Jan 3, 2020, 11:41:41 PM via Website

Wow! Really good work, keep it up!