How do I turn off auto-updating without using Google Play?

• Replies:6
Ian Ethan
  • Forum posts: 1

Dec 2, 2015, 5:56:05 AM via Website

Google's suddenly decided to start auto-updating my entire app collection after I specified over a year and a half ago to never, ever do this. I had to shut off Play Services to stop it, but now it looks like I have to turn it back on in order to access the option to turn off auto-updating again. In other words, a large chunk of my apps would have to updated in order to turn off said auto-updating.

I can't allow the updating because my S5 has very little internal storage remaining, and also because I could lose crucial data and functionality in some of the apps I rely on. But I also need an Android market that won't infect the device, so sideloading isn't an option for me by any means.

Is there ANY way to shut off auto-updating for my Google account without going through the Google Play app or turning on Play Services? I already tried the website; I didn't see the option anywhere, unless I missed it.

Thanks.

Orville Wilson
  • Forum posts: 5

Dec 7, 2015, 11:33:34 AM via Website

Once you open the Google Play Store you’re going to head into the settings panel to make the necessary changes. This can be done by selecting the dedicated menu button on your Android device (or the 3 dots in the upper corner if you have on-screen keys) and then selecting Settings. From here you’ll want to select the third option down titled Auto-update apps, as shown in the image below for your viewing pleasure.

Once you select the Auto-update apps from the menu shown above, you’ll be greeted with a pop-up of three different options. Those being Do Not Auto-update apps, Auto-update apps at any time. Data charges may apply, and Auto-update apps on WiFi only. This is where you’ll choose to completely stop auto-updates.

Android TV

Vladimir Spiridonov
  • Forum posts: 266

Feb 2, 2016, 3:21:32 PM via Website

You can do all operations in instruction given above without internet connection. Just turn on Airplane Mode on your device and apps will not be updated.

Topapps4u
  • Forum posts: 124

Dec 3, 2016, 6:15:33 AM via Website

1. Open Google Play Store
  2. In the play store tap on Menu button on top left corner of the screen
  3. Touch Setting option on the menu.
  4. You will see an Auto update-Apps option in General Settings.
  5. On the “Auto-update apps” dialog box, select Do not auto-update apps option

So, This is way without your permission no apps will get update.

Topapps4u
  • Forum posts: 124

Dec 3, 2016, 6:15:36 AM via Website

1. Open Google Play Store
  2. In the play store tap on Menu button on top left corner of the screen
  3. Touch Setting option on the menu.
  4. You will see an Auto update-Apps option in General Settings.
  5. On the “Auto-update apps” dialog box, select Do not auto-update apps option

So, This is way without your permission no apps will get update.

Deactivated Account

Android TV
  • Forum posts: 17

Jul 22, 2017, 8:26:03 AM via Website

Hey Eathan,
to stop auto update of apps follow these steps:
1. go to play store
2. then go to the play store Menu button on top left corner of the screen
3. select "settings"
4. in general you see "auto-updates apps option"
5. as you select it a app drawer will open with 3 options
6. to stop auto-updates of app select vert 1st option that is "do not auto updaye apps"
now none of your app will auto update