whatsapp complete backup without google drive

• Replies:9
  • Answered
wcr
  • Forum posts: 6

Sep 18, 2020, 5:45:23 PM via Website

On my old phone, I have lost google services and thus the possibility to back up whatsapp to the google drive, and I want to move my entire history, including all media, to the new phone. I see there are ways to transfer the entire whatsapp folder from one phone to the other, and the new one finds it. But it restores only the data up to the last google drive backup in June.

Does anyone know a way to make it forget about that google drive backup and simply restore the content of the local backup I make NOW?

Note that, due to the broken google services, I cannot install a third party software from google play on the old phone anymore.

Thanks for any help.

Best answer
wcr

Sep 24, 2020, 7:04:32 PM via Website

I have found a solution that worked for me.

On the new phone, I have uninstalled whatsapp and removed all traces from it with a file manager. I have then transferred a complete copy of the entire whatsapp directory from the old phone (> 2GB) to that location on the new phone. Then installed whatsapp on that phone and it seems indeed to have recovered all old conversations.

Helpful?
James Watson
James Watson
  • Forum posts: 1,584

Sep 19, 2020, 5:50:55 AM via Website

Install WhatsApp Messenger on your new device after you have logged out your Google account. Then select to restore from the local backup of your WhatsApp. In addition to Google Play Store, you can download the package installer (apk) from the official web site of WhatsApp.

Download size < 0.15 MB. But also accurate enough, ad-free & free.
The minimalist app available on Play Store: https://goo.gl/ws42fN
Blog: https://okblackcafe.blogspot.com Your 5-star is appreciated.

Helpful?
wcr

Sep 20, 2020, 8:37:45 AM via Website

Thank you, but (sorry if this is a silly question), I cannot see how I would actually "log out" from a google account on a phone. Does this mean to actually delete google play (I suppose not)? I see that I can install whatsapp from apk, but I cannot see how I can activate it without google being present.

Also, I have the impression that it is somewhere in the history of the old phone that it thinks the only really complete backup was the one from June with the no-longer working google services on that phone. I keep think that, if I could remove the backup history on the old phone completely, then make a fresh local backup, then this backup could be nicely restored on the new phone. But I do not see how to delete the backup history without creating a mess in the rest of the installation.

So I keep hoping for additional ideas (or for an answer to the question of how to log out of google, temporarily, on the new phone). Thank you!

Helpful?
wcr

Sep 23, 2020, 9:38:13 PM via Website

Well, I keep hoping that someone has a solution for a clean and complete local backup without any traces of old googledrive backups - without it, I do not see how I can switch to my new phone.

Helpful?
Paris Young
  • Forum posts: 5

Sep 24, 2020, 6:08:22 AM via Website

I found PanFone WhatsApp Transfer that can be a handy tool to help you back up and restore WhatsApp data (WhatsApp chats, photos, videos, attachments ) more easily and securely.

Helpful?
wcr

Sep 24, 2020, 4:18:08 PM via Website

Have tried - it does not seem to want to cooperate with whatsapp on my sailfish phone though.

Really, the problem solution I am looking for is one where whatsapp itself would make a clean local backup without any reference to any google drive. Once that is done, I am confident that there will no problem with the transfer.

Helpful?
Best answer
wcr

Sep 24, 2020, 7:04:32 PM via Website

I have found a solution that worked for me.

On the new phone, I have uninstalled whatsapp and removed all traces from it with a file manager. I have then transferred a complete copy of the entire whatsapp directory from the old phone (> 2GB) to that location on the new phone. Then installed whatsapp on that phone and it seems indeed to have recovered all old conversations.

Helpful?
James Watson
Sophie Harrison
  • Forum posts: 2

Sep 25, 2020, 6:10:36 AM via Website

Is your new phone based on Android or iOS? If your new phone is Android, it seems that you can backup your old phone again via local backup and then install WhatsApp on the new phone, connect both phones to computer, copy the /sdcard/WhatsApp/ folder from the old phone and paste it into the same directory on the new phone. I have found this in an article from UltFone, and also if you transfer to iOS, their software

UltFone WhatsApp Transfer

is really a good one.

— modified on Sep 25, 2020, 6:14:08 AM

Helpful?
it shortener
  • Forum posts: 1

Sep 25, 2020, 6:29:21 AM via Website

WhatsApp is always my first choice for sending messages, photos and videos. It is so easy to use, and has plenty of good options. Ideal for group communication which eliminates the need to send individuals messages to relay the same content. Multiple groups can be set up, from two to dozens (don't know what the limit is ).Wouldn't dowithout it -- my phone bill would be sky high otherwise. The [apk][1] is brilliant! Quality of phone calls is variable, most of the time good, but sometimes not so good.

Helpful?
wcr

Sep 25, 2020, 8:29:26 AM via Website

I guess it's OK that you all want to sell your software - but my example shows that none of this is necessary. Transfer of the entire folder before installation on the new phone is all that is needed.

Helpful?