How Do I Disable/Delete WhatsApp>Updates>Channels

• Replies:6
  • Answered
Skeezicks
  • Forum posts: 25

Nov 13, 2023, 10:04:10 PM via Website

Whenever I tap WhatsApp>Updates, 20 to 30 Channels appear. These channels do not matter to me and I do not want to stay updated on them.

This started when I last updated the System to Android 14 on November 1.

I'm using a Pixel 7 Pro and the WhatsApp settings are set to English for App Language but most of the channels that appear are mexican.

How can I disable/delete these and any other unwanted channels?

James Watson
  • Forum posts: 1,584

Nov 16, 2023, 2:13:52 AM via Website

The 'Channels' is the latest feature of WhatsApp launched by Meta. When you open WhatsApp and switch to the 'Updates' tab, you will see a few trending channels in your region.

These trending channels should be pushed to you based on big data or your language setting. However, as it is a new feature, big data may not be accurate.

You can follow or unfollow some channels. But you can't explicitly disable trending channels.

— modified on Nov 16, 2023, 2:15:16 AM

Download size < 0.15 MB. But also accurate enough, ad-free & free.
The minimalist app available on Play Store: https://goo.gl/ws42fN
Blog: https://okblackcafe.blogspot.com Your 5-star is appreciated.

Skeezicks
  • Forum posts: 25

Nov 17, 2023, 4:47:30 AM via Website

So sad. :(

Rohan Saadat
  • Forum posts: 4

Nov 17, 2023, 4:39:28 PM via Website

WhatsApp often shows status updates from your contacts and other channels. If you find that these updates are not relevant or you'd like to manage them, here are some steps you can take:

Mute Status Updates:

Open WhatsApp and go to the Status tab.
Find the status updates you want to mute.
Long-press on the contact or channel's status.
Tap on the Mute option.
This will hide the updates from that contact or channel, and you won't receive notifications for their status updates.

Hide Status Updates from Specific Contacts:

If there are specific contacts whose updates you don't want to see, you can hide their status updates.
Go to Settings in WhatsApp.
Select Account > Privacy > Status.
Choose "My contacts" or "My contacts except..." to customize whose updates you see.
Remove Channels:

Unfortunately, as of my last update in January 2022, WhatsApp doesn't provide an option to remove or disable specific channels from showing in the Status tab.
If you're seeing updates from specific channels, it's likely because your contacts are sharing these updates. In such cases, muting the contacts or adjusting your privacy settings as mentioned above would be the way to manage what you see.
Check for WhatsApp Updates:

Make sure you are using the latest version of WhatsApp. Developers frequently release updates to fix bugs and introduce new features. An updated version might have improvements or changes to the status update display.
Review System Settings:

Go to your device's Settings.
Navigate to Apps or Application Manager.
Find WhatsApp in the list, tap on it, and check for any specific notification settings that might be affecting the display of status updates.

SAIMA FIRDOUS
  • Forum posts: 3

Nov 18, 2023, 3:04:40 AM via Website

Hi! I understand that you are facing trouble with unwanted channels appearing in your WhatsApp updates, and you want to know how to disable or delete them. Here's what you can try:

1. Open WhatsApp and tap on the 'Updates' tab.
  2. Find the unwanted channels that you want to disable or delete.
  3. Long-press on the channel until a menu appears.
  4. Select 'Mute' to disable notifications for that channel or 'Delete' to remove it from your updates list.

You can repeat this process for any other unwanted channels that appear on your updates list. Additionally, you can also try changing your device language settings to English (or your preferred language) to see if that helps in reducing the number of Mexican channels that appear.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Ellie401
  • Forum posts: 10

Dec 8, 2023, 4:20:44 PM via Website

Choose english country from channel search bar

janasmjho33
  • Forum posts: 7

Jan 24, 2024, 11:09:07 PM via Website

If you're dealing with unwanted channels on WhatsApp after updating to Android 14, then I think a quick fix to this would be easy like open WhatsApp, go to the "Updates" tab, and find the channels you don't want. Press and hold on a channel, and you should see an option to mute or leave the channel. Tap on that, and you won't get updates from those channels anymore. Also, check your WhatsApp settings, make sure your language is set to English, and maybe try clearing cache in the app settings. That should help you get rid of those unwanted updates on your Pixel 7 Pro.