There are occasions where you might want to block calls from certain numbers. It could be an insurance company trying to make you claim compensation, or a possessive ex-girlfriend or boyfriend. Whatever your reasons, we'll show you how to block calls on your Android phone.
You don't need an app to block incoming calls. The manufacturers of Android smartphones each solve it differently in their respective phone apps. Allow us to show you the solutions of the most famous manufacturers.
- Google Dialer on Pixel Devices and Motos
- TouchWiz Dialer on Samsung Galaxy devices
- EMUI-Dialer on Huawei and Honor smartphones
- Sense-Dialer by HTC
- Experia-Dialer by Sony
- Call-Blocker Apps
Thanks to Google, you can now block spam callers with Google Dialer - but only if you own a Nexus, Google Pixel or Moto device. The Dialer app was briefly available for a host of other Android devices but Google said that this was a mistake and quickly patched the app. Even if you download the APK, your phone will still refuse to install the app. If you do not have a Nexus or a Google Pixel you will sadly have to wait until the app is available for all Android phones.
If you haven't already done so, you'll need to install the app first. Once you are done, you'll soon find that this is one of the easiest ways to block numbers from your device. To block any number, just follow these simple steps:
- Launch Google Dialer
- Tap on the menu button next to the microphone icon in the margin at the top of the app
- Tap Settings
- Next, tap Call blocking
- Tap Add a number
- Enter the number you want to block.
You can also block numbers by just selecting them from your recent calls list or address book. Just select the number and select Block/report spam. Once you do this, you'll never hear from that annoying caller again. Reporting the number will also send it through to Google and other carriers, which will enable them to develop more effective spam filters in the future.
Blocking calls on Samsung devices
To block all calls from an individual on your Samsung device:
- Tap the Phone app, Call Settings, then the block numbers option.
- Next, tap Add phone number.
- That's it! To reverse this, just go through the same process again but tap Remove from auto reject list at the end.
Block calls with Huawei and Honor smartphones
In EMUI you can block contacts individually by selecting the contact and calling up the context menu under More. Alternatively, it is also possible to forward all calls to the mailbox. Via the three dots next to the call symbol in the phone app of the Huawei or Honor smartphone, you reach the Blocked menu, which takes you to the overview of blocked calls and messages as well as the extensive further setting options.
On HTC, you can block calls from the phonebook app
Like Samsung, HTC has made it super easy to block calls, and easily manage your blocked numbers. To block calls from a specific number on your HTC phone:
- Go to your Phone app, then go to Call History or tap the search icon to find the number you want to block.
- Long-tap the number you want to block, then tap Block contact.
- To manage your blocked contacts, tap the menu icon at the top right of your Phone app, then Blocked contacts. Here you can add or remove blocked contacts, and even see when your phone blocked messages and calls from this contact.
Blocking calls on LG smartphones
To block calls on your LG phones, go to the phone app. From there, you can open the menu with the three vertical dots. Go to call settings. Under Blocked numbers you can block contacts, entries from the call list and manually entered numbers.
Blocking calls on a Sony smartphone
Don't touch call-blocker apps
There are call-blocker apps that promise the functionality described above on the Play Store. However, since these apps get access to your contacts and your phone app, they should be used with caution. Developers can use the authorizations to call expensive service numbers. They can also use the contact details of your friends commercially. It is much better to use one of the methods described above.
How do you block phone numbers? Let us know in the comments below.