Considering the massive combo deals and sheer numbers of Galaxy Note 3's shipped over the holidays I can only assume that plenty of people ended up being stuck with a Galaxy Gear. While I may not be much of a fan in its current incarnation, the device still has its uses, especially if you want to re-gift it to a friend that owns a Nexus 5 or a Google Play edition Xperia Z Ultra or HTC One. While the Gear initially only worked with two Samsung devices and now more via the Android 4.3 update, a simple hack exists to pair the Galaxy Gear with other stock Android devices, the only non-Samsung devices to work with the chunky smartwatch.
Which type of driving games do you prefer?
Choose Adventure game or Arcade game.
- 10854VotesOops! Seems like something went wrong. Reloading might help.
- 9082VotesOops! Seems like something went wrong. Reloading might help.
There's not much to it, so let's get down to it:
- First off you need to download an APK called gearmanagerstub onto your device.
- Then, download the APK called Gear Manager 1.6.111801 and rename the .apk extension to a .zip extension.
- Open the .zip and go to assets/preinstallapks and install all of the APKs found there.
- Rename the .zip back to .apk and install that on your device too.
- Now you just have to pair the Gear to your device. Use NFC or manual pairing.
- Install ATNManager 1.2.2 and allow it to access your notifications via Settings > Security > Notifications Access.
- Launch ATN Manager and give it whatever notification permissions you want to receive on your Galaxy Gear.
This hack will undoubtedly be plugged by Samsung soon enough, so enjoy it while you can. Also, the hack won't let you use the weather app on the Gear and, of course, S Voice won't work either. I know this hack works on the Nexus 5 and if the hack works on the Z Ultra and HTC One Google Play editions, it also stands to reason that it may well work on other Google Play edition devices running KitKat.
Did you get your non-Samsung Android paired with your Galaxy Gear? Do you think Samsung should open the Gear up to all devices?
Source: Smartwatch Fans