Fabien just got in an email from HTC a couple minutes ago stating that the Android 2.2 release for the European HTC Desire would be releasing this weekend. I earlier mentioned that HTC was still on track for a Q4 release, but it seems that they were doing last minute testing earlier this week, and they didn't find anything else to hold up the release.
Here is the full text from the email:
“The Android 2.2 (FroYo) update for HTC Desire will start rolling out across Europe this weekend. As well as including the complete set of Android 2.2 features, the update will contain a few special additions of our own through the latest iteration of HTC Sense. The update will provide 720p video capture, HTC’s App Share widget, as well as our enhanced HTC Caller ID, and improved multi-language keyboard. Also, though the update, HTC Sync will allow HTC Desire users to sync their music with iTunes.
HTC Desire users will be notified that the over-the-air update is available to download when their phone automatically checks for software updates. The update won’t delete any of the phone’s content. However, due to the size of the update, we would advise using a WiFi connection to download it wherever possible to avoid additional data charges.
This update will initially roll out to unlocked HTC Desire handsets. Operator specific versions of the update are undergoing testing and we expect to make them available in several weeks’ time.”
Q & A
What is available in this update?
· The FroYo update for the HTC Desire gives users the complete FroYo feature set as well as some special additions of our own through the latest iteration of HTC Sense. The update will provide for 720p video playback, HTC’s App Share widget, as well as our enhanced HTC Caller ID, first seen in the HTC Wildfire. Also, through the update, HTC Sync will allow HTC Desire users to sync their music with iTunes.
What is HTC’s App Share widget?
· There are more than 50,000 apps available worldwide on Android Market – the majority of which are free. With more added every single day, it is becoming more and more difficult to find the best content for your phone. The App Share Widget lets you share your favourite mobile experiences with a simple gesture with a new app sharing widget.
· You can recommend apps by sending a link via text (SMS), email and social networks
What is HTC Caller ID?
· When you open up a contact card in the address book the phone displays all your communications and conversations with that friend, regardless of whether it was a call, text, email, image upload or status update on Facebook.
· When a friend calls you, HTC Caller ID will show their Facebook profile photo, their latest status update and even if their birthday is coming up soon
Why was there less of a wait for Android 2.2 (FroYo) for the Desire, than for Éclair for the Hero?
· We’re excited to be able to offer the FroYo update so quickly. There wasn’t as much of a difference between Éclair and FroYo as there was between Cupcake and Éclair so less development work was required to ensure the user experience was maintained at the high level our customers expect.
Will the update be available to all Desire users across Europe? Are you favouring unlocked devices over operator specific handsets?
· The FroYo update will begin rolling out immediately to SIM free unlocked devices and operator specific updates will be available in several weeks time
· We have strong relationships with our partners and are working closely with them to develop the update for their networks
· We will leave it to our operator partners to announce official timings
Why can’t you update everyone at the same time?
· We’re working hard with our partners to give all Desire users the same great experience
· Operator specific updates will be available in several weeks time
Will the Desire be updated to Gingerbread?
· The features of Gingerbread have not yet been officially announced, so it’s too early to say.
Why isn’t there DivX support?
· We are constantly developing new features and experimenting with new technology. We only release new features when we are completely happy they deliver the high level user experience our customers have come to expect
Will HTC offer all updates so quickly in the future?
· We have to wait until each new Android version has been announced before we can evaluate the feasibility of integrating it with our phones.
· We will only provide new updates and features that we feel will significantly improve the user experience.
When will the Android 2.2 (FroYo) update be available for the HTC Legend and the HTC Wildfire?
· We expect to release updates for several of our 2010 models including Legend and Wildfire during Q3.
· The HTC Wildfire already has the latest version of HTC Sense with the App Share widget and our enhanced HTC Caller ID. Music sync has also been enabled for the HTC Wildfire.
How did HTC get around the issues other providers have with synching with iTunes?
· HTC Desire users are able to sync their music with iTunes thanks to the HTC PC sync tool which connects to iTunes by approved APIs for PC interaction.
So, get ready you Desire owners, FroYo is on the way!
Image from AndroidandMe