Buckaroo Banzai made this comment:
HTC is now using the Atmel mxt224 screen vs. the old Synaptics 2000. The Atmel is a known component of the upcoming HTC EVO 4G - I just didn't think they'd implement it this soon. Looks like they have. It's not merely a software enhancement on the Incredible over the N1; they are indeed using a new screen type. Very nice.
- usable on screens up to 10.2"
- position data is reported at >250Hz
- supports stylus, fingernails, and gloves
- low power consumption
- size and angle of touch recognized
- unlimited touches
- Signal-to-Noise ratio (SNR) of up to 80:1
- small footprint with few external components
This is a big improvement for touch screens capabilities. Now we just have to hope more companies start following suit.
Image from AndroidandMe