Alexa can make any home into a smart home. To do it, though, it needs the help of other smart home devices. Which devices integrate Amazon's voice assistant and are able to converse with you? In this list, you'll find out exactly which useful gadgets are compatible with Alexa and are awaiting your command. Just added to the list is the HTC U11 and IKEA TRÅDFRI, plus a preview of upcoming news.
Alexa doesn't just open the doors to the world of Amazon. The voice assistant is also compatible with products by other manufacturers. Smartphones, lights, speakers, scales...the list of products compatible with Alexa is growing.
Devices with Alexa integrated
- Amazon Echo: a speaker for your home which keeps Alexa always at the ready
- Amazon Echo Dot: the little brother of the Amazon Echo
- Amazon Echo Show: manage your smart home devices, monitor the weather forecast, update your shopping list and access a host of features also available on the Echo and Echo Dot, but with the added advantage of a 7-inch touch screen
- Amazon Echo Look: a virtual stylist that gives you advice on what to wear using the integrated camera
- Amazon Dash Wand: scan products to add them to the shopping list and streamline your shopping experience
- Amazon Fire Tablet: all new Fire tablets from Amazon support Alexa
- Amazon Fire TV Stick: a stick that brings Alexa and apps to your TV (like Chromecast)
- Amazon Tap: a portable Wi-Fi and Bluetooth speaker
Amazon Echo Dot
- Mate 9: released in late 2016, this smartphone from Huawei comes with Alexa pre-installed in the US
- Lenovo Smart Assistant: presented at CES in Las Vegas, this is an assistant like Amazon Echo which can play your favorite songs, give you info about the weather, news and your daily schedule
- LG Hub Robot: presented at CES in Las Vegas at the beginning of 2017, this is a control center for al the smart devices in your home which can give you weather and calendar information, for example
- LG InstaView refrigerator: presented at CES 2017, it is a smart fridge which allows you to create a shopping list and order the items on it, as well as play music, display what's inside and connect to it when you're at the grocery store.
- The Alexa rollout for the HTC U11 has already happened in the US, and it can be downloaded in the Play Store. Once downloaded, you can select the option to activate Alexa by squeezing the sides of the phone or by hotword.
Lowest price: HTC U11Best price
Other brands which support Alexa
- Nest Cam Outoor, Indoor and Cam IQ: once you've activated the app on Amazon Show, you can stream video straight from any of these cameras in your home
- Nest Thermostat: using Alexa, you can change the temperature in your home with a simple voice command to your Amazon Echo, Show, Tap, Fire, Dot ot TV. You can find all the information and commands on the Nest website.
- Philips Hue light bulbs: using Alexa's skills, and an API, you can turn the lights on or off or change the brightness.
- IKEA is a bit late to the party. But, the TRÅDFRI lights will get Alexa this summer. The smart lights can then also be controlled by the Echo and Echo Dot to adjust the brightness and switch the lamps on or off.
- Smart Plug: an intelligent outlet that, when coupled with Amazon Echo and optionally connected to Wi-Fi, allows you to monitor energy consumption and to turn remote devices on or off.
These well known brands, and others, will be joined by many more to come as, by some estimates, there will be more than 24 billion IoT devices by 2020. As the list grows, so does our cabinet of test devices. Over the coming weeks and months, you can expect to read news about the following manufacturers' devices or services on our site:
- Bird Home
- Bosch HomeConnect
- Logitech Harmony Hub
- Osram Lightify
What do you think of Alexa? Which smart home devices are you excited to try out with it?