Do android phones get viruses?

• Replies:31
  • OpenNot stickiedUnanswered
  • Forum posts: 1,338

Aug 9, 2013 4:06:08 PM via Website

Agreed, antivirus software for your smartphone, whether it's an app or on your computer, is an essential. Installing apps only from trusted sources is one of the best ways to protect yourself, but running regular scans on your device is also recommended. Factory resets are a worthwhile thing to do every now and again just to refresh your phone and get rid of any unwanted stuff and if you're worried something might have crept onto your memory card then you can Hard Reset too. Just make sure you scan and backup all your important data first! You can also download ad network scanner apps that will see what apps are producing all the ad popups.

— modified on Aug 9, 2013 4:06:22 PM

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

• Forum posts: 3

Aug 20, 2013 5:49:14 AM via Website

Parth Mehta

also dont accept MMS from unknown numbers

How can accepting MMSes from unknown numbers bring viruses?
  • Forum posts: 1

Aug 25, 2013 5:06:29 PM via Website

Daniel Jones
Yes Android is most vulnerable mobile platform, people faces lot of problems because of viruses.
Personally I have never used any antivirus for my Wildfire and never had any issue. I do not prefer to install app from places other than play store.
Over my grand I am using AVG, it scans all the apps at the time of installation. If you do download apps from third party stores then I will suggest you to have an antivirus app.

I just want to clarify -as an Android developer- I can assure you an Android phone cannot get a virus by definition. Each application runs in its own process. Without getting too technical think of each application as being its own user account. Very brilliant idea in design. Many of you are correct however about being a potential virus carrier and infect a pc. Also apps can be malware, which isnt a virus but can be dangerous like many have stated they might be able to read your contact information and text messeges and send that data to someplace. Rest assured if you don't root your phone and let any old app have superuser permissions your sensitive data such as passwords are safe. Just be carefull to read permissions, and avoid shady looking apps. Android is just as secure as other platforms but with an open market you are responsible for your safety. That's not a bad thing.
A final note: In my opinion security apps like lookout are a scam. But if you must use one AVG is very reputable on desktops and the app has some usefulness
Deactivated Account
  • Forum posts: 48

Sep 10, 2013 10:57:58 AM via Website

Nope, it doesn't usually get's introduced with one. But some malicious apps may introduce virus to your device.
  • Forum posts: 5

Nov 15, 2013 7:39:25 AM via Website

Ya of coarse it is possible, try to prevent your mobile with standard mobile antiviruses
  • Forum posts: 11

Dec 19, 2013 11:42:16 AM via Website

I read this recent study in XDA-developers "Just How Safe is “Safe” in Android?" where they show very clearly that Android system is well protected against viruses. They analyse multiple layers of defence in Android systems, so as long as you download your apps from a trusted source, I believe there is a very tiny possibility of a potential malware.

You can Google the article since as a new user I'm not permitted to post links.
  • Forum posts: 23

Feb 12, 2014 4:15:43 AM via Website

I've heard a few instances of people getting viruses, althought I doubt its too common. Did anyone hear about the reports at the Olympics in Russia getting their phones hacked within minutes of landing in the airport? I'd say thats a pretty good sign right there
  • Admin
  • Forum posts: 2,141

Feb 12, 2014 7:18:48 AM via Website

Well, Android phones do get viruses !! that is why there are a number of anti-viruses available. We can say Android is more secured from viruses because all the application in the Android environment runs in its own sand box means they are accessing only those things that you have allowed, this is why many people say "Risky Android application permissions" means you need to look onto the permission, you could find a several number of apps that seeks unnecessary permission. So, better to watch out the permission and there is no need for any antivirus except for the security purpose like lock down your device remotely, remotely tracking .... things like that etc. So, moral is look down the permission and get your self save from using the anti-virus application.

Sep 9, 2016 5:08:23 AM via Website

You need to ignore these people that say you can get a virus on your Android. you cannot! it's impossible ....phones don't have a hard drive like computers do. u can get annoying ads if you download aps but No viruses. Professionals tell people all the time that a Android doesn't have a hard drive and they cannot get a virus. I guess if some company wanted to sell you a anti-virus they would lie and tell you the phone gets viruses.

Sep 9, 2016 5:12:49 AM via Website

Androids don't have a hard drive they can't get a virus.the reason those Anti viruses are there is to TAKE your MONEY.

Sep 9, 2016 5:19:44 AM via Website

Hacked doesnt mean virus. hacked means someone got into your account.