NooB

• Replies:10
Chris Gidden
  • Forum posts: 9

Jan 5, 2011, 1:02:54 PM via Website

Hi, am new here. Just awaiting delivery of an Android Based web tablet so thought i would sign up in advance and have a nose around.

Chris.

Fabien Röhlinger
  • Admin
  • Staff
  • Forum posts: 3,861

Jan 5, 2011, 1:09:20 PM via Website

Hey Chris, welcome here at AndroidPIT :)

Chris Gidden

Jan 5, 2011, 2:18:56 PM via Website

It's a Storage Options Scroll Tablet with Android 2.1 installed.

Not the best by any means but good for the price and a good introduction to an Android device i think. Need to see if it is good enough to drag me away from my iPhone come contract renewal time.

Douglas Carter
  • Forum posts: 1,891

Jan 5, 2011, 2:23:11 PM via Website

LOL. Okay, I already looked into your profile to see if you had already listed the device. However, the name sounded so strange that I thought you just put in some random words.

Looking at the device's specs on this page, you won't be winning any contests against an iPad or Galaxy Tab with this device. It looks to be pretty basic and affordable. Do you know that the tablet likely won't come with the Android Market?

— modified on Jan 5, 2011, 2:24:15 PM

Chris Gidden

Jan 5, 2011, 2:27:45 PM via Website

Douglas Carter
LOL. Okay, I already looked into your profile to see if you had already listed the device. However, the name sounded so strange that I thought you just put in some random words.

Looking at the device's specs on this page, you won't be winning any contests against an iPad or Galaxy Tab with this device. It looks to be pretty basic and affordable. Do you know that the tablet likely won't come with the Android Market?

It does come with Android Market but i think its a cut down version which give mainly access to the free apps due to something to do with coprights or something. Not really sure why to be honest but it should give me access to everything that i would need.

And i know it wont win any contests, its more to get to grips with the look and feel of Android to see what it can do \ what can be done etc. For meddling about on the internet it should do the job just fine :)

EDIT:

I noticed when browsing the different tablets available that alot of them didnt come with Android Market - this is one of the few that did.

— modified on Jan 5, 2011, 2:28:27 PM

Douglas Carter
  • Forum posts: 1,891

Jan 5, 2011, 2:44:39 PM via Website

Yeah, I read the specs page that said it came with Android 2.1 which has access to the Market. Unfortunately for you, I am still skeptical that you will have it installed on your tablet. I think they did some clever misinformation by claiming that the tablet will have it.

Google has this rule for manufacturers that only devices with 3G access (except for the Galaxy Tab Wi-Fi only) can have the Android Market installed. The OS is free for anyone to use, but a device that wants to have the Android Market is supposed to meet certain requirements which this device doesn't, based on what I've read so far.

You may in fact get the tablet with the Android Market. There are some devices being sold with hacked copies of the Android Market, and yours may be one of them. There is also a small chance that Google recently changed the rules regarding what devices can have the Android Market, and that I am not yet aware of it, but I am very skeptical about this last possibility.

— modified on Jan 5, 2011, 3:00:44 PM

Chris Gidden

Jan 5, 2011, 2:47:28 PM via Website

I knew there were restrictions but going on what i have read there is a restricted\cut down version of the market installed. Some other buyers review indicate that it is on there also.

Will find out when it is delivered i suppose :)

Chris Gidden

Jan 5, 2011, 3:07:37 PM via Website

Will do buddy.

Fingers crossed, if not there are plenty of other places to get apps from, such as here :)

FS1
  • Forum posts: 3

Jan 11, 2011, 2:48:26 AM via App

The galaxy tablet from tmobile has been the best purchase so far this year