Fast book and weird Android warning

• Replies:7
Raj P.
  • Forum posts: 22

Sep 30, 2011, 5:17:09 PM via Website

Hello AndroidPIT how ya doing today?

So I was playing around with my HTC today and I noticed a strange option– fast boot. I turned it on, rebooted and sure enough it worked like a charm. The thing went from dead to fully running in like 5 sec. But a weird warning poped up: Turn off to use some Market apps.

What apps are they talking about? And how could booting up the phone faster interfear with how apps run? I'm just trying to figure out how my phone works so thanks for the help!

Ilgaz
  • Forum posts: 19

Feb 27, 2012, 6:23:26 PM via App

I believe fast boot caches a lot of stuff in memory (or disk cache) and some complex apps doesn't like it.
I turned it off immediately on my phone which has only fraction of your hardware specs. I also had problem getting into recovery mode after enabling so I decided never to turn on again.
Androids shouldn't really need to be rebooted that much.

Eric McBride
  • Forum posts: 1,790

Feb 28, 2012, 4:20:13 PM via Website

Never used fastboot myself, so Im not too sure. Im rooted, but normally only need recovery or the bootloader.

Ilgaz

Mar 14, 2012, 6:19:50 PM via App

The fast boot he talks about is at the application settings, e.g. Boot device faster. Not the fast boot that is used to install recovery etc.

sinkster
  • Forum posts: 610

Mar 14, 2012, 6:28:17 PM via Website

If you use the fast boot option available in some HTC phones it means when you 'switch off' your phone using the power button then it sleeps, or hibernates, rather than being completely shut down, allowing for a 3-5 second boot but obviously if you remove the battery it will take the normal time to boot.

Sinkster

Eric McBride
  • Forum posts: 1,790

Mar 14, 2012, 11:00:10 PM via Website

Ilgaz
The fast boot he talks about is at the application settings, e.g. Boot device faster. Not the fast boot that is used to install recovery etc.

Ah ok..thanks for clearing that up .I was getting confused!

Aaron Tilton
  • Forum posts: 838

Mar 19, 2012, 12:15:59 PM via Website

It's the same with all electronics. If you install something new you often have to reboot your phone / device.

Ilgaz

Mar 24, 2012, 6:18:16 AM via App

I got a new htc now, I have seen that setting and warning. It is way more than my old phone, it suspends to disk (hibernate). Even apps keep the way they were.
Also my theory is right, these things really boot fast. So unless you work at a place you have to turn off your phone all time and turn back on, really needless. ;)

— modified on Mar 24, 2012, 6:18:47 AM